• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX9370 4.4ghz overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

julianv

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I've been away from the gaming scene for a good 8 years so I went and pretty much purchased a full build without doing proper research. :screwy:

Anyways I built it yesterday and downloaded amd overdrive, my cores seem to hang close to 60c while in game and this is without my desk fan blowing into my open case which isn't ideal :D Now I realize spending £8 on cooling for a 220w CPU wasn't the smartest move. So until I decide what cooling/upgrades I need I am clocking it at 4.0ghz and using my custom desk fan cooling system :attn:

Here is what I got:

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
Asus M5A97 R2.0, AMD 970, S AM3+, D
630W be quiet! Pure Power L8 Hybrid
AMD FX 9370 Black Edition
Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 Pro Rev 2
240GB Crucial M500 2.5" 6GB/s Inter
3GB XFX Radeon R9 280, 5GHz GDDR5,

This is what I have decided to buy in terms of cooling, please let me know if this will suffice at stock speed (4.4ghz)

2x http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-noctua-nf-f12-pwm-focused-flow-pwm-cooling-fan-quiet

1x http://www.scan.co.uk/products/noct...r-x6-heat-pipe-quiet-cpu-cooler-with-2-x-fans

And I also wanted to ask if it is advisable to spend some money on a better motherboard like this one:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...r3-sata-iii-6gb-s-raid-sata-pcie-20-(x16)-atx

Thanks all :salute:

When you disable TurboCore and manually set a cpu speed, the cpu will now go into ALL 8 cores working when loaded at whatever speed. That can be hotter than using cpu as designed with TurboCore enabled but the cpu voltage manually set slightly lower than stock.

You might want to read this thread since he was trying to overclock his FX-9370 but was running into heat issues. He has not fully resolved his problems that know of so you will do better to keep your posts to this thread so as not to confuse the issues.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749413

1. You need to decide if you plan ANY overclock or use of cpu other than as designed to run with Turbocore enabled so ALL the 8 cores are not enabled when loaded.

2. If you do not overclock, you might/just might get by with the mobo you have but in the long run I would not trust anything less than an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 if I were going to spend any more money at a mobo. Those of us that do overclock have taken our FX-8350s faster than an FX-9370 with ALL cores on and found that even the board you mentioned to upgrade to is n0t enough.

3. Again it comes down to your real plans for the use of the cpu and about the ALL 8 cores on under load thing...I surely would not waste money on air cooling if you plan anything like running 4.7Ghz with ALL the cores on and do so with stability day in and day out.

Like I said above, we that run the pee out of our 8 core processors have all gone to as heavy a duty mobo as is realistic to purchase and most of us have heavy duty water cooling setups. Not AiO and not air cooling really.
RGone...

That motherboard is only a 4+2 phase motherboard, the op needs an 8+2 phase.

2. If you do not overclock, you might/just might get by with the mobo you have but in the long run I would not trust anything less than an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 if I were going to spend any more money at a mobo. Those of us that do overclock have taken our FX-8350s faster than an FX-9370 with ALL cores on and found that even the board you mentioned to upgrade to is n0t enough.

Like I said above, we that run the pee out of our 8 core processors have all gone to as heavy a duty mobo as is realistic to purchase and most of us have heavy duty water cooling setups. Not AiO and not air cooling really.
RGone...

That motherboard is only a 4+2 phase motherboard, the op needs an 8+2 phase.

Absolutely, I tried just for kicks my 9370 on a 6+2 phase board and eve that wouldn't cut it. It was just plain unstable and super hot. So Julian you need to decide what you're going to do. Even with a lesser FX6xxx CPU that board wouldn't be suitable so it needs to be upgraded.
After running one of these the minimum I would recommend is the Sabertooth R2 and a really good 2x120/2x140 AIO cooler or a custom water set-up. Or take it back and get a decent mobo and a 63xx with the difference.

Thanks for all the quick responses! :)

So to answer the question on what I plan on doing with it - I plan on running it at stock when I sort out the temperature.

Ok so I will buy the Sabertooth R2 and the NH-D14 and see how that goes. If I go for a water setup I will have to upgrade the case too and dont really want to go too mad on the money.

Hopefully they will take the mobo back or at least discount me on it....

Good luck Julian, I hope they work with you as well. I'm still not certain the Noctua will be enough but we'll see I guess. Running it stock with all the green stuff on will help and the Sabertooth will make a huge difference. You might be able to lower the V_Core a bit and maintain the stock settings which would aid in cooling.

Well i knew others would come and give information but then two things you have said bother me right now.
1. Case door off to get decent cooling.

2. Then back that concern up with saying you would have to get another case if you went to water cooling. That sounds to me like you have too small a case right now and for sure the Noctua D-14 will not do well inside a hot computer case with no air flow to remove the heat coming off the fins/rad of the D-14.

We are not shetting you these 8 Core cpus run hot. Your default speed is 400Mhz higher than the default speed of an FX-8350, so your cpu comes to you 'factory' overclocked. HoT used like most of us do.
RGone...
RGone...

Ok I will look into upgrading the case but not immediately.

I am currently running this case fyi

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ther...-edition-white-with-usb-30-and-black-interior

Just out of interest if you were in my position and had £200 to spend what would you do? :)

If only planning on running at stock clocks the Noctua should be fine. So that and the Sabertooth would be my choice for $200.00. Additionally if you load that case up with fans it should be fine as well. Additionally, the Noctua fan you chose are very nice fans but you don't "need" to spend that much money to get a set of decent case fans.

Sabertooth R2 is good board choice.
As what comes to the cooling, there is no doubt in my mind that the Noctua cooler can handle 8350 at stock speeds but decent AIO liquid cooler will be far better choice.
NH-D14 costs really much and with small additional investment you could get the H100i like Johan suggested.

I had my 9370 on my ThermalTake extreme 2.0 and it handled it quite well at a steady 4772 all eight cores

4772.JPG

I have my 9370 at 4.4ghz right now. I turned off all amd green settings and turbo core. Turbo core made my voltage spike insanely high. Currently running at 1.325v. I am using the Thermaltake frio extreme with 2 120mm fans. Depending on how good of a chip you have and how much voltage a certain speed requires, you may be able to keep a higher speed cool with the air cooler

Back