• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Installing Ultra Family Drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BSims66173

I'm new to all this puting stuff. I got the dragon+ mb and the xp1700 processor combo. Everything seems to work well but I am not sure how to install the Ultra Family Drivers. After reading the book I have copied the files to a floppy but not sure what it means when it says "when you are into the system install screen, press F6,". What do they mean by system install screen? I am running Windows XP Home Edition.

I have not used the raid option for hdd's, so I cannot be 100% accurate, but for a true raid function with harddrives on ide3/4, you are trying to load the raid drivers from a floppy at the point in question. I believe that point is after detection of harddrives by the promise controller, but before the motherboard starts to check its resources.

As for the promise ultra family drivers ( the ones that let you use other harddrives in a non-raid format on ide 3/4) I copy them to my harddrives off of the soyo disk, then in the OS, if your bios and board jumpers are set correctly, look for a device called a mass storage adapter in the device manager. It should have no driver installed for it,so this is where you are going to install the drivers. Then on the reboot, you will have access to the ide3/4 devices AFTER your OS comes up.

I hope it helps.

When it talks about that I'm sure it means, when your about to install your O.S. cause in XP you have the choice to hit F6. with XP it says hit F6 to install Raid or other third party or something like that.

Klownin79 said:
When it talks about that I'm sure it means, when your about to install your O.S. cause in XP you have the choice to hit F6. with XP it says hit F6 to install Raid or other third party or something like that.

yes,you are right,I had to reformat and install win2k again from scratch to get ide 3&4 working for my needs.it needs to be done at the os installation time.

What exactly are the advantages of installing the drivers during OS setup? Is this for raid, or for ide3/4? I would reformat if it did some good. But right now the drivers loading from windows give me access to 3/4. Would it give me access before windows is loaded?

Later.

knack4it said:
What exactly are the advantages of installing the drivers during OS setup? Is this for raid, or for ide3/4? I would reformat if it did some good. But right now the drivers loading from windows give me access to 3/4. Would it give me access before windows is loaded?

Later.

well all I know is that I could'nt get the ide 3&4 to work by installing the drivers through windows,I tried like crazy,finally I reformatted and installed the lite drivers during the os install,I am using win2k pro,and I think the only advantage for me doing it that way was that was the only way I could get it to work,LOL...
if you got 3&4 working ,don't bother reformatting.
btw also,I am not using raid,I just wanted the extra ide ports,I have this:
ide-1,hdd
ide-2,internal zip100 & cdrom(master)
ide-3,cdrw
this is the setup that it seemed to like the best.

have a great day,,,,

Last edited:
So you are using cdrw on ide3. How is your performance with that? I had mine there as well, but I have to admit I did very little burning with it as I am busy doing so much other stuff right now. I read that the first two channels running through the via controller are superior to the promise controller, although I did not catch if it is bandwidth or just prone to buffer underruns or something. A lot of people in various forums are stating bad luck putting a burner or dvd player on either 3 or 4.

If you put the drive you have on 3 onto 4, would your w2k boot option allow you to boot from there? If it would, you could put another hdd on 3 and use the soyo boot option and choose scsi and have another OS.

Thanks for the info. As far as your drivers, I wonder why they would not install in widows. Mine have gone on 98se,me and xp no problem. Hmm.

Later.

knack4it said:
So you are using cdrw on ide3. How is your performance with that? I had mine there as well, but I have to admit I did very little burning with it as I am busy doing so much other stuff right now. I read that the first two channels running through the via controller are superior to the promise controller, although I did not catch if it is bandwidth or just prone to buffer underruns or something. A lot of people in various forums are stating bad luck putting a burner or dvd player on either 3 or 4.

If you put the drive you have on 3 onto 4, would your w2k boot option allow you to boot from there? If it would, you could put another hdd on 3 and use the soyo boot option and choose scsi and have another OS.

Thanks for the info. As far as your drivers, I wonder why they would not install in widows. Mine have gone on 98se,me and xp no problem. Hmm.

Later.

well I am no expert on burning,it's my first one,I have done some data and music burning and it seems to perform pretty good,my burner is a 32/10/40 tdk,and in tests it is burning at 32x.I think it works better as a master on it's own channel.I have not read anything on 3 & 4 being any slower.

it's not like I burn stuff everyday,so it's not that big a deal anyway. :) have a great day.

Back