• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AI Suite II: What's your opinion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tetrall

Registered
Hey Gang!

So, I'm at work, which means I'm in learning mode rather than action mode. I work away from home for two weeks at a time.

So here's the question of the day: What do you think of AI Suite II for 990FX series boards?

So far I've been using it a lot for my temp monitors and though I find it's interface rather clunky I've been getting used to it and have come to rely on it in my initial study of my own Sabertooth and 8350.

Any pitfalls to the program I should know about?

I only use AI Suite for fan speed profiles.
Beyond that, useless.

It's useless. Anything you can do in AI suite, you can do in the bios.
Maybe that's worth it to you for easier access to some things, but to me it's just another program running threads in the background consuming resources...
When I uninstalled it and found there were still pieces lingering that I couldn't get to, well that's a red flag in my book for any program.

I only use AI Suite for fan speed profiles.
Beyond that, useless.

Hmmm, can you elaborate on that? What makes it useless?

I'm using it primarily for monitoring temps/voltages during operations... I suppose there are simpler programs out there like HWmonitor (that I need to learn).

Hmmm, can you elaborate on that? What makes it useless?

I'm using it primarily for monitoring temps/voltages during operations... I suppose there are simpler programs out there like HWmonitor (that I need to learn).

A lot of people have seen stability issues using AISuite for any monitoring/overclocking reasons.

On my CHV, I used AI Suite 2 times and both times was not impressed with telling me my 12V was 64V and un-installed and then had to clean the registry to stop odd shett from occurring. Seems Ai Suite for Intel works better but I don't have Intel board so no idea of that actuallity.
RGone...

These guys have it pretty much summed up. Instability , odd readings and warnings popping up. I have only one use for it, that is to reach speeds I can't boot to when benching.

These guys have it pretty much summed up. Instability , odd readings and warnings popping up. I have only one use for it, that is to reach speeds I can't boot to when benching.

This. ^^^
And before you say AOD is better for that, I can tell you on the 990FX boards, it's not. I can bench higher on AI Suite after boot than on AOD.
Realistically, all software overclocking should be avoided on a daily use machine. Benching on the other hand is a different animal. If you want to be competitive, you have to.

Realistically, all software overclocking should be avoided on a daily use machine.

This. Learn the BIOS, it's your friend.

The only saving grace of AI Suite is that you can pick what is/isn't installed.
I literally only have the fan control portion installed. And that's only on one machine.

The only saving grace of AI Suite is that you can pick what is/isn't installed.

Exactly. I install only the tuning portion, and even then as soon as I use it I go into the task manager and shut down all the processes before I run the bench.

Good to know... I've only used the AI Suite to monitor, not overclock because I had read that software added instability.

Sadly, I've already installed the program. Completely. So cleaning it off will be part of this next time home.

So HWmonitor is effective and not so buggy, but I don't see where it shares the Vcore 1 & 2 temps (or takes total advantage of all the temp sensors on the Sabertooth).

I've read a little that SpeedFan and AIDA64 can monitor these points... Is that correct and are those programs viable?

Maybe it's just because I haven't used HWmonitor yet...

Good to know... I've only used the AI Suite to monitor, not overclock because I had read that software added instability.

Sadly, I've already installed the program. Completely. So cleaning it off will be part of this next time home.

So HWmonitor is effective and not so buggy, but I don't see where it shares the Vcore 1 & 2 temps (or takes total advantage of all the temp sensors on the Sabertooth).

I've read a little that SpeedFan and AIDA64 can monitor these points... Is that correct and are those programs viable?

Maybe it's just because I haven't used HWmonitor yet...

We can explain the different temps/voltages of HWMonitor for you when you get it installed :)
The nomenclature changes a little for each motherboard.

Awesome ATM, I'll get it installed when I get home and start learning the in's and out's.

only a week and a half to go.

Tetrall said:
but I don't see where it shares the Vcore 1 & 2 temps
No HWMonitor does not give those two readings and for most of us, "who cares"? Been running my CHV, benching at +5.2Ghz and have never once said to self, "shett where is that Vcore 1 and 2"? In all honesty.
RGone...

No HWMonitor does not give those two readings and for most of us, "who cares"? Been running my CHV, benching at +5.2Ghz and have never once said to self, "shett where is that Vcore 1 and 2"? In all honesty.
RGone...

Wish I could take that approach with my A64 6400+. Core #1 or the second core if you will, can reach 62c. when that happens, instant blue screen.

Since FX doesn't display readings for other cores besides #0, how would one ever know if Core# 3 was the cause of a over heat blue screen? The world may never know! :shrug:

S_B, Vcore 1 and 2 are not core temps but proprietary readings for VRM on the Vcore 2, I believe it is and forgot what the other is so it is not an internal cpu core temp reading. HWMonitor reads that as package on the FX processors.
RGone...

Back