• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 8kha+ LIT ON FIRE! no joke!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

Ok, i had an un successful attempt at applying a active memory cooler on my crucial 512 ddr ram with artic alumina thermal epoxy (see http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74938). What i did is i pryed off the two heatsinks and found some of the epoxy in the chip leads. i took a pin and tried to get the epoxy out of the leads. it looked successful to me because i could not see any more epoxy. After it was all clean i resat the memory and turned on the memory. Milliseconds later, a capacitator on my 8kha+ was up in flames! I have absolutly no clue what happened. A short circuit caused by static electricity maybe?
I will go and post a picture of my mobo now.

Since I now need new ram and a new mobo, i was thinking of getting those kt333 ones. Which company makes the best one feature wise (i do not need great overclocking features or RAID)?

This pic is a close up on the area that was on fire. It was originally all black but the area that was burining (probably burned for 2 seconds) turned bright white and there was a hole in it

damn man that really sucks ....

if you go with via - get the 333a - as in true via fashion the 'a' chipset are always better...

I personally am done with via and the driver issue garbage and went nVidia

Emericana said:
when is the 333a coming out then? i do not want to wait long.

if time is an issue - I know they are better but not worth waiting months for...

what advanced features are on them that are not on the norml 333? would i be better getting a 266a or 333? i need the board within the next two weeks. i do not need agp 8x because i have a geforce 3. i also need a board that supports that alpha pal8045 heatsink and i only need a board that can do overclocking in fsb. i had my 1900+ stable at 1750mhz before the mobo caught on fire.

well Personally for the money if I were to go VIA again - I would go 266a right now - they are cheaper and I could upgrade to the 333a faster and justify it easier than upgrading from the 333

like I said I can only offer you what I personally would do.

but of course anything is better than a burnt mobo!

Don't hold your breath on the 333a's, the next chipset for VIA is the KT400. I would get the new Epox 8K3A. It has the 333 Chipset, no raid, supposedly VCORE adjustment to 2.2V and will be a great OC'er. And it is only $105 at newegg.com

Sorry to hear bro, never heard of a computer getting on fire..

You should look into the new Epox KT333 boards, with addition of KingMax PC2700, it'll serve you well.

wow, thats nuts. u should just RMA it, there was obviously a shory somewhere. if your board catches on fire, its a manufacturing prob
-Malakai

i have had the board for over a month though. Will newegg still accept the board? It was working fine untill i attempted to install my mem cooler.

i ended up purchasing a msi kt266a board because it was pretty cheap and i wanted usb 2.0. Maybe in the future i will upgrade to the new via400 chipset (or whatever it is called). at the time there are no bios guides available for any kt333chipset so that is why i decided against it. People have gotten up to 153mhz fsb's on the msi from what i have read. Seeing how i have a locked chip, i doubt i would have gotten any higher on any other mobo. I was running my 1900+ at 12.0x145x1.85v . I have had multiple confirmations that it runs stable at that speed on the msi so that is all i want.
oh yeah i also got a stick of 512mb mushkin ddr cause i dont trust crucial anymore.

mother board

uh, almost all motherboards have a 1 year warranty, just call and get an RMA #.

AND, doublecheck and make sure your original handy work is not visable at all, duh.

Newegg is the best for RMA's. Good customer ratings.

oh, and there are PCI add on cards with USB 2.0, so you can update the USB as long as the motherboard has an extra PCI slot left over. not sure if you need a 64 bit PCI slot to run her though, have to check into that.

baldy:)

yeah i rma'd my 8kha+ in newegg and then when i got my msi kt266a in the mail, they sent me the wrong mobo! some pentium 4 socket423 msi motherboard. When i originally ordered they did not have the 8k3a on their site so now they do and i ordered that.

Back