• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Finding new GPU for $200-$230

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tedmann12

Registered
Hey guys,

I am working on upgrading my computer and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a GPU in the $200-$230 range?

I was originally looking at the 29 280, but I see a few different "versions" of them for different prices and don't really understand the differences.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good card?

My CPU is an FX 6300
I have 8 gigs of ram
I'm ordering a new 650w-750w PSU

My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2

Thanks in advance!

The HIS IceQ X2 R9 280 that was reviewed here seems to fit the bill for you.

Usually the "versions" are either a factory overclock or different cooler.

If you're willing to go used, you could possibly find a 290 for that price. Granted, there's a 75% chance it was used for mining, but if you're willing to assume those risks, it's a big bump in performance. Just thought I'd throw it out as an option.

If it was used for mining, what would that mean for me if I got the card?

If it was ran for months at 100%, t hat would probably diminish its usable life.

For a couple months of mining, probably nothing. The price usually reflects the usage.

If it was used for mining, what would that mean for me if I got the card?
could mean nothing, could mean the world...it depends. If.you choose a card with a warranty based on serial number, it shouldn't mean much as you can simply rma for a new card. It's it's receipt based perhaps the user will help rma but clearly that is quite diffiucult at times. Giga, MSI, and Asus are all s/n based.

Ok, well I'm looking on newegg and amazon and there are so many different versions of the graphics cards and I'm just overwhelmed at the all the minor differences. There are sooo any r9 280's and 280x, each with all these minor differences. Anything I should avoid? I see like "Saphire" and HiS IceQ. What does all this stuff mean?

I'm debating between the r9 280 and 280x, but what are the differences. I mean couldn't the 280 run most games on ultra anyway? How much better is the 280x?

You will want the best you can afford. The difference between the 280 and 280x, iirc, is a few % performance wise.

We just reviewed the his 280 and compared it with a 280x on the front page... Check that out. ;)

I really like the gigabyte cards, but anyway the "x" means factory overclock, that's the way to go.
the used cards coming to the used market are miners and if you don't know a lot about the subject just avoid the used market right now as the risks are real for a newbie.

A head's up, moho here will be selling his entire mining farm he posted. Pretty sure he has some R9 280's in there :)

:(

I take it after 100 posts I get access to some other stuff?

P.S I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a new 280x. Can any of you link me to one you would recommend? If you see any one amazon that would be ideal because I have prime.

I just have a hard time differentiating all the minor differences between the cards.

How does this one look?

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Radeon-Vi...e=UTF8&qid=1407883343&sr=1-8&keywords=r9+280x

The cheapest 280x I see on amazon. Any reason it may not be as good?

Last edited by a moderator:
:(

I take it after 100 posts I get access to some other stuff?

P.S I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a new 280x. Can any of you link me to one you would recommend? If you see any one amazon that would be ideal because I have prime.

I just have a hard time differentiating all the minor differences between the cards.

How does this one look?

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Radeon-Vi...e=UTF8&qid=1407883343&sr=1-8&keywords=r9+280x

The cheapest 280x I see on amazon. Any reason it may not be as good?
To answer the 100 post question, after you have over 100 quality posts and an ISP or .edu email account, you will be allowed into our own classifieds to buy and sell.

That's where moho would put up a for sale thread.

Also, we have a newegg thread hear - usually goo codes to enter and get some $$ knocked off the MSRP. Gpu's are usually on sale :)

My processor is an Fx 6300. Do you guys think it would work fine with the 280x?

Back