• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Crosshair V Formula failure ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

M4A87TD Evo
Phenom II X2 555 BE X4(3600)
2x4Gb Corsair Ddr3 1600Mhz CAS9
Evga Gtx 770 Dual Sc w/ Evga Acx Cooler
Asus DRW-24B3LT Sata LightScribe
1xOcz Vertex 4 Sata III 2.5 Ssd 128Gb
2xVelociraptor Wd500HHTZ
CoolerMaster 690 III
Corsair Ax760w Platinum
Samsung Led Bx 2250 (22´)
Windows 7 Pro SP1 X64

Recently bought a Asus Crosshair V Formula and switched it for my M4A87TD Evo, worked fine for 2 weeks until i slightly raised NB from 2000 to 2400 and NB voltage from 1.1 to 1.15 as it would supposedly give me better multiplier sync with my memory 800/1600. Now it will turn on for a few seconds (sometimes for a few minutes) and will turn off straight after. The 4 hardware leds are green except for the CPU witch is slightly OC'ed and therefore orange. Does not register any temperatures outside of normal range. Every time i try to enter BIOS it will freeze or just turn off. Did the manual reset including removing battery for a few minutes, nothing worked.

Asus technical support reply for help was possibly the most idiotic i have seen since i started with my Amiga almost 30y ago as they asked me if my CPU had thermal paste applied properly :bang head

Any tips ?

Not nearly enough information to determine what is or is not happening. Just arbitrarily jumping CPU_NB speed to 2400Mhz on a Phenom 2 cpu is often a 'fail' since all of those cpus cannot stand up to that sort of CPU_NB speed.

I would clear the CMOS and then test as outlined below and Attach the images we NEED to see as outlined below and that way we can get a look at what is REALLY happening at your end and we won't be guessing like blind men.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APC, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

What part of "Now it will turn on for a few seconds (sometimes for a few minutes) and will turn off straight after." did not register when you ask me for screens of windows programs :confused: and if you read my post properly you would also have noticed that i did reset "Did the manual reset including removing battery for a few minutes, nothing worked.".

All power settings are off as i unlocked my b55 and am over-clocking it. Yes i did jump it from 2k to 2.4k but i had done it with my previous motherboard to test how far it would go and it worked fine.

I removed the components one by one and put them back on my old M4A87TD Evo and they show no problems.

So my issue remains : was the MB faulty or did i push it too hard (which is strange since it is in all ways better then my old) ? Why cant i reset the BIOS and get it back to defaults or did the clear actually work and i simply burned something so it wont stay stable any more ?

did you do the "full" cmos reset, let it sit over night, no battery, clear cmos jumper installed, them reinstall battery, reset the clear cmos jumper. at times when I borked mine I had to do it this way.

No, 2 weeks after i switched to my new MB and as soon as i upped the NB and NB voltage

Last edited:
Right so you put the parts back into the m4 and it works, correct. Just out of curiosity is the CPU unlocked on the M4, If so lock it back up then try it in the Crosshair. The CHV doesn't support ACC. So the CPU might be having a fit when it's in the new board. Did it run in the board unlocked at all ??

Perfectly fine unlocked with a slight OC. Will try to move then lock then move again later this evening.

I wondered about that. That's why I was asking, I noticed your mention of it earlier on. Maybe that was all it took was one change and the board doesn't see it anymore.

I didn't think there were any 990 boards that did, I stand corrected.

Unlocking an AMD cpu is done 'on' each mobo. The cpu has no switch that remains switched/changed from board to board.

Even a CMOS clearing would/should/most often swaps settings back to default and at that time if ACC had been on it should then go > to > off and the cpu would/should lock again until 'unlock mode' were enabled again.

So there are a couple of things that have been seen across the net and happens. How well a cpu works unlocked and that includes any number of variations when one board is used to unlock to the next type/brand/model are often not the same from board to board. Over the last 4 or 5 years I have seen many people buy a new board and say; shett shett, my other board unlocked this cpu and it worked fine...this newer/different mobo does not do the same.

That probably leaves us here: If the 555BE will NO longer work locked as the cpu should work at default in the CHV, then either the board has failed or the cpu likely has failed.

If the cpu works fine in another board BUT will not work even in locked default mode in the CHV, then likely the CHV has failed. If another cpu will not work in the CHV...then surely the CHV has failed.

This all assumes the actual important thing this minute is to determine if the CHV has failed in some hardware area.

That the ACC mode of the CHV does n0t work the same or as well as the earlier board; is n0t surprising to me after years of people moving from one unlocking motherboard to some other brand or type and not having as good an unlocking situation.

All I am interested in is pointing the yes or no finger at the CHV as having gone bad.
RGone...

Well the CPU was working fine on either motherboard, locked and unlocked, 2 or 4 cores. Again was only when i changed the NB speed and voltage that this started. No burned smells, left it again without battery for the night and cleared it, still no go :(

Seems more and more like a hardware flaw on the MB then anything else tbh :(

left it again without battery for the night and cleared it, still no go :(

Seems more and more like a hardware flaw on the MB then anything else tbh :(

I thought you were going back and testing everything including the cpu in the previous motherboard? So is the 555BE 'still' working in the other board?
RGone...

:confused: what :confused: too little sleep :confused:

all the components are working on the old MB just fine, i am switching what i need as i go along. I moved the CPU back to the old MB yesterday to lock it and moved back to new, no changes, still shuts down after few seconds. Old IT friend told me some of the board safeties might have tripped on account of NB so to try a voltage reducer that MIGHT get it stable enough to try to flash the BIOS, again might work or not.

At this point i am considering asking for RMA :sn:

RMA might do the trick alright enough. Have had some respond to taking every thing out like ram, cpu and video cards and setting the whole thing aside for a day or so, but it sounds like you have almost done that and RMA looks just around the corner.
RGone...

What part of "Now it will turn on for a few seconds (sometimes for a few minutes) and will turn off straight after." did not register when you ask me for screens of windows programs :confused: and if you read my post properly you would also have noticed that i did reset "Did the manual reset including removing battery for a few minutes, nothing worked.".

No need to be rude dude. RGone is one of our top members. He just had a moment of mental gloss over like we all do sometimes.

A more appropriate response to his request would have been something like:

"I'd love to provide some pics for you but like I said, I can't even boot into Windows at this point."

Have you looked at the PSU as a possible culprit? Most likely, however, it's the mobo. If you RMA it to Asus well, good luck! They aren't particularly cooperative these days. Not that this will necessarily improve the RMA experience but is the board still under warranty?

Last edited:
I will not apologize as i am completely fed up with people that answer without reading the question 1st OR reading it properly and understanding what was written. Happened too many times on too many websites, there is only so much patience :)

Again everything is working 100% on the older MB and i have ran out of test atm short of going old school and tracing paths. Trying out RMA methinks.

Thank you for all the input :)

Back