• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Cheap Mobo Replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mindflayr

Registered
A friend gave me an Athlon 750 with MSI 6331, which i promply installed in an el cheapo case- w/ a 250 watt PS - which, in conjuction with my power hogging voodoo5 5500 - fried a RAM stick and apparently the Mobo as well. Luckily i own 5 slower PCs so i still get my daily fix of games- but im stuck on a p3-450 and i miss my Athlon 750. I eventually got a 400 watt so i now have the case and PS waiting- but the mobo is gone to the junkyard- so I would just like some recomendations on inexpensive Mobos for gaming purposes- for an Athlon 750, PC100/133 SDRAM system paired with a v5 5500- thanks for your guys time and invaluable knowledge- I prefer forums to Hardware review guides like TomsHardware or HardOCP.

CURRENT SPECS:
p3-450
320mb pc100
v5 5500 64mb
19" KDS
aDSL

Look for my posts in the classifieds for a $40 M/B that will fit your needs perfectly. The thread is called "need some cheap AMD M/B?"

In order of ascending price and quality:

ECS K7S5A
Shuttle AK31
Epox 8kha+

The ECS board is stable but not a great overclocker, it will accept either SDRAM or DDR. The Shuttle is a great board, overclocks very well. The consensus seems to give the edge to the Epox over the Shuttle, but it's also more expensive.

If you want cheap, you might check out the refurb section at Newegg.

nihili

I agree with Nilli on this, but to expound on the new Egg refurbished suggestion. I just picked up a refurbished motherboard from them and it was delivered with no additional items. No manual, no IDE cables nor drivers/utilities CD. Having a drawer full of parts and several other systems at my disposal to track down the drivers, manual etc this was not a problem for me. But the substantial discount and the liberal return policy of New Egg makes this a very good option if you are properly prepared, and I would recomend it.

By the way, the board (Tyan S2460 dual XP) works great.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Motherboard

Hi there I have a shuttle AK31 ver 3.1 that I'm looking to sell cheap if you are interested let me know I know i'm not suppose to sell anything through here but I would rather sell it to one of you guys instead that may really need it Thanks

Back