• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with my P8Z77-VLK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reco1966

Registered
Recently my PSU developed a short on one of its harnesses and I replaced it. After installing the new PSU a 530 watt raidmax I cannot get it to boot unless I remove one of the 2 ram sticks. When I try to boot with both ram sticks the DRAM led stays solid. I removed one stick and the PC booted right up. I swapped the other stick just to see if one was bad and it booted right up. SO I assume both sticks are OK cause by themselves they boot ok.I cleared the CMOS and even removed the CMOS battery but it still will not boot with both sticks. Below are my specs any help is greatly appreciated.

I5 3570k
ASUS P8Z77-VLK
(2) 4gig sticks of GSkill ARes ram
evga GTX660
OCZ Vertex SSD
RAIDMAX 530watt PSU

Reco

First problem: That Raidmax PSU. Those are typically a fire hazard at best.

Did you try one stick in each different slot? Could be that a slot has gone out.

The Raidmax I got was 1200 plus reviews with 4 out of 5 stars on newegg. I havent rtried other slots as the manual shows you where to put single and dual sticks I will try other slots and let you know.

The Raidmax I got was 1200 plus reviews with 4 out of 5 stars on newegg. I havent rtried other slots as the manual shows you where to put single and dual sticks I will try other slots and let you know.

Newegg reviews for PSUs are terrible. Absolutely terrible.
There's no load test, no ripple test, no efficiency test, no dis-assembly to check component quality... nothing.

Also, it's very possible that the short in your old PSU damaged a RAM slot or something in the memory controller.

Well unfortunately thats all my budget could afford. I still havent tried other ram slots but intend to today thank you so much for your help..If there is anything else you can think of please let me know.

Ooof, that PSU... wow. Went from bad to worse on that front...

Like ATM said, try different slots and see if those both still work... but the next thing on your list should be a better PSU. While this may have been all you can afford, if worse comes to worst that PSU can take out your entire PC. You never cheap out on a PSU...

The Raidmax I got was 1200 plus reviews with 4 out of 5 stars on newegg.
Well if you paid $139.00 minus the $20.00 MIR and can return it do so. You can get this Seasonic G 550 which is plenty of power and a much much better PSU. It is also $40-60 less expensive, however you look at it.

Ouch... I hope that can actually put out what its rated for... but looking at the UL number and Xref with a JG thread... it doesn't look remotely promising...

The Raidmax I got was 1200 plus reviews with 4 out of 5 stars on newegg. From post #3

His psu, had 1200 reviews. the review count is 1241 on the egg. Look at the system specs if first post:

I5 3570k
ASUS P8Z77-VLK
evga GTX660
OCZ Vertex SSD
RAIDMAX 530watt PSU

ok switched ram slots and it booted up so far so good you guys rock, thank you so much...I know the Raidmax is not the best but neweggs psu calculator said I needed a 430watt PSU so I figured 530 hopefully will be enough I was overclocking the boost clock from 3.8 to 4.3ghz I may need to dial that down a little but at least I dont need a new mobo I hope agaoin thank you guys so much...

Glad just a slot was dead!!!

As far as PSU's - You aren't understanding... We are hoping that PSU can actually put out its rated power... it may not be able to according to other reviews of what I believe to be the same unit. If/when that PSU craps out on you, it could take out your whole rig. Save $60 and buy a new PSU pronto. You dodged one bullet... not sure about this PSU one...

You arent understanding... We are hoping that PSU can actually put out its rated power... it may not be able to. If/when that PSU craps out on you, it could take out your whole rig. Save $60 and buy a new PSU pronto.

To add to this, the old PSU shorting out (which I assume was some Raidmax piece also) could have very easily done damage to the motherboard causing the current issues.

Not only could it short, overvolt, or undervolt the PSU causing potential damage, but I've seen cheap POS power supplies literally catch fire and burn other components.

My old PSU was a PC power and cooling a friend gave me, lasted for 8 years. After some testing my rig has developed the same issue as before. Will only boot with one ram stick doesn't matter which one and sometimes when I attempt to boot the USB slots are non functioning. The only way to get it to boot after that is to remove the bios batt. Also I am now afraid of the raidmax PSU as well. So I have decided to RMA the PSU and get a new mobo. I really like the P8Z77-VLK but if anyone has another suggestion I will entertain. I would like to stay with the Z77 chipset and its needs to be able to use XMP profiles and have PCI-E 3.0 support and at least 1 USB 3. What brands of PSU would you guys recommend? Remember I am on a tight budget. Before my PSU issues I was overclocking the CPU but I was only OC'ing the Boost clock. I was at 4.3GHz boost clock for 18 months stable and would like to go back to this if possible with the new board and PSU. How much overhead should I allow for the PSU if I am overclocking the boost click from 3.8GHz stock to 4.3GHz? The last PSU was a 600 watt unit.

I5 3570k
ASUS P8Z77-VLK
evga GTX660
OCZ Vertex SSD

Last edited:
I was looking at this one the EVGA 600watt unit. I may want to get another 660 one day. Is the 500 watt unit really enough with my boost clock OC? If you had to choose between the AsRock or the Asus which one would it be?

Nothing wrong with the Evga 600 w you chose.

I have never owned the specific Asus board you have but I have never had issues with the 4 Asus boards I currently own. I have read about horror stories with Asus as far as their RMA support though. As far as my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 board I have no complaints about it, it's a heck of a board for the money. That said when I bought it it was a bit less expensive, then it is now on Newegg $114.00 and it also came with 2x4g of DDR3 ram as a promo. You probably will not see any discounts on the Z77 boards now because they are 3 generations old now.

Back