• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions and help with budget mini gaming pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rothery

Registered
Ok I posted earlier about upgrading my brother's pc and now im sort of wanting my own. I'm looking to build the gaming pc from a guide I found online, and I'm really just looking for advice. I'm a complete novice to any and all computer building but I've decided I want to try build my own mini pc.

OK so here is the guide.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/geforce-gtx-750-ti-mini-itx-pc-build-guide

Peoples opinions on whether or not this will be a good result when its done would be appreciated. Literally any advice in terms improvements, alternative parts that would be better to use (very much on a tight budget), things I'll need to consider for actually building it, or... Well pretty much all advice would be massively appreciated.

One of my first thoughts is am I going to need a whole 1TB for the hard drive?

Also im considering opting for the Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5-3350P CPU that's also mentioned in the guide. Would that be worth the extra cost? Are there alternatives to that?

we "want" all the storage we can get, but no you do not need 1tb, 250-500 will be fine, you do "want" an ssd for the operating sysem.

Welcome!

You may want to check out this sticky, here on our very own overclockers.com forums. Ignore the specific part recommendations, but the thread does do a good job of walking you through how to build a PC.

While there are a great many guides out there, if you browse through our forums (since you're already here), you will find a LOT of examples of folks asking the same question you did, and a lot of build logs, with pictures, that can help walk you through the process. As always, if you get stuck on something, you can always create a thread and ask for specific help.

That said, in order to help you out, we'll need a few particulars. Namely: give us your budget, and what you plan on doing with the computer, and how long you plan to keep it before buying something else or upgrading. You already said you are looking for a small form factor PC (a "mini" PC), so that's a good start.

Go to pcpartpicker.com, and create a list of parts once you've done a bit of research. This website will calculate the total cost for you, and give you suggestions of where you can ultimately buy the components. It will also generate a link that you can post here, to allow us to view your build and provide suggestions and feedback.

Last edited:
What is "tight budget" for you?
Also, what country are you buying in?
Does your budget include mouse/keyboard/monitor?

Thanks everyone for the speedy responses. My budget is around £400-450 or $700. I'm buying in the UK. Budget doesn't include monitor/mouse/keyboard, I've got those. I have an xbox one at the moment but the rate they are bringing out decent titles is boring me to death so I'm looking to expand. Games like payday 2, elder scrolls morrowind, shadowrun and the forest. Who knows maybe some newer titles if its possible.

Oh and thanks for the link to the building guide mokrunka, reading through that now, very insightful so far.

Back