• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows acting weird on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chowzilla

So my new build has gone smoothly but when I leave my computer idle long enough, windows freezes (I can move mouse but nothing is clickable). When I turn on my computer it hangs on the windows logo for almost 5min then windows loads fine. It wasn't like this when I first formatted my computer

My theory: it was only after I added my other harddrives that it started acting slow. My other HDDs and SSDs were from my old build. Do I need to format them since its a new motherboard (I didn't cuz I want to keep the data).
I checked my bios, it is set to AHCI by default. Boot order is correct. Voltage of ram is good.

My computer build:
Mobo: ASUS Maximus VII Hero
CPU: core i7 4770
GPU: GeForce 760 GTX
PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 supernova
RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Red 1600MHz
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Drives: 2x HDDs + 4x SSDs (vertex 2&3, Kingston, crucial)

If you guys think its something else, please let me know.

Thanks

Make sure you've gone into your power options and set your plan to High Performance. Then hit change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Hard Disk > Turn off hard disk after > 0.

This usually clears up a lot of issues like this for me. You do have alot of drives hooked up. So you could be having a controller issue. See if the above helps. If you already did this or it doesn't start pulling power cord out of each drive one at a time until it doesn't have the issue.

Disconnect the vertex 2 and see what happens. I remember seeing a thread at the OCZ forums that said that drive isn't compatible with Haswell systems.

I know its not the power settings because I get issues before the harddrive decides to turn off. unplugging my SSDs and HDDs one by one helped me a lot, identified it was indeed my Vertex 2.

took out my Vertex 2, and my computer runs like a BEAST now.

Thank you both of you for helping me find out my problem.

Back