• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Start up problems 98SE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richard1728

I have recently built a new computer system and I am having some start up problems. I have visited your site often and have learned many things. I am hoping that someone there can give me some help with this problem.

When I start the computer I receive several error messages. There can be one message or several messages. They say that a program have preformed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Sometimes I will get a message that says that windows had a problem finding the window registry, system will restart and correct the problem. Of course sometimes it starts up with out any problems.

I have deleted the drive and reinstalled windows several times, but still have the same problems.

Here is the system,

System is running windows 98SE

ASUS mother board A7V266E VIA KT266A WITH DDR

AMD ATHLON XP 1900

VIDEO CARD GEFORCE 3 TITANIUM 200 64 MEG DDR NVIDIA

HARD DRIVE IBM DESK STAR 75GXP 45 GIG

FAX MODEM LUCENT PCI 56K V90

LOGITECH TRACKMAN MOUSE

MICROSOFT KEYBOARD

RAM DDR /184PIN/ 256 MEG

If anyone can offer any assistance that would be of help, that would be great. If you need anymore information please ask.

Richard ... :rolleyes:

This sounds like a possible interrupt conflict problem. I recommend removing all cards except your video card and doing a fresh Win98SE install. Then, if it works consistently in that configuration, then reinstall your other cards one at a time and verify their operation. Be sure that you don't install a PCI card in slot 1 because it conflicts with your AGP video card.

Start up problems 98SE

Jimmy G.

Thanks for responding to my problem. I only have one other card in the system, It is the Lucent modem card. It is installed in slot PCI 5.

Do you think that I should remove the card and the drivers to see if this corrects the problem?

Richard :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forums.

Are you overclocking at all? Sometimes registry type errors will show up if you kick it a little too far.

JimmyG's suggestion is a good one too. Do a fresh install with nothing in your system but the drives and GF3. If you can boot into 98SE okay, add your other components. If you get errors from a particular slot, try another. With problems like this, sometimes trial and error is the only way to get a solution.

Back