• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the hammer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Snub

how many people will pick up the hammer when it arrives?

i know i will already pretty hyped...

it may not be as soon as they come out, but some time fairly soon after the new year i will probably get one. a system built around hypertransport. that in itself should bring about some good performace gains

I am definitely looking forward to it as a future investment. Like Oni and Xantec though I'll probably wait a little while after it's release before picking one up. Waiting for newer steppings is well worth it if nothing else.

will you be able to out these in a dual rig?? i mean will they support it. I gotta know so i know how much to save:)

NASsoccer said:
will you be able to out these in a dual rig?? i mean will they support it. I gotta know so i know how much to save:)

YES! It's great. Clawhammers are actually designed to be low end server/high end desktop processors that can go into quad processor setups if I remember right. I know the Sledgehammers can work in up to an 8 cpu config.

Prob from a year from now, yes I do look into it. I'd probably wait for prices to settle down, steppings to be revised etc. And for a real operating system to support the full chip comes out before I buy everything ...

Yodums

]-[itman said:

YES! It's great. Clawhammers are actually designed to be low end server/high end desktop processors that can go into quad processor setups if I remember right. I know the Sledgehammers can work in up to an 8 cpu config.

well put me down for two clawhammers:) I can't wait... well i can till the good overclockers come out:D

ill be jumping right in, uhhh.........
U guys aint gonna like this, but from what I can tell so far with hypertransport and on-board mem controllers, if AMD doesnt specifically build-in some o/c'ing tool, they wont be overclockable, for there wont be a fsb or a multiplier.......
well be modifying our clock gen's next if we want to o/c.
-Malakai

cyber mouse45 said:

How do you fit 8 cpus on one mobo??

Well, it's used only in servers and I'm honestly not sure how it's set up. I know that servers setups are not what we're used to as desktop users.

Oh, I see. Well I guess I won’t be getting one then. :( Hey, I’ve been wondering about this for a while. If you have two MP 1800 chips in one pc, does that mean you have a 3600mhz system, or does it not work like that?? (hmmm, 8 2000mhz Clawhammers = 16,000mhz. Wow!) :eek: :D

cyber mouse45 said:
Oh, I see. Well I guess I won’t be getting one then. :( Hey, I’ve been wondering about this for a while. If you have two MP 1800 chips in one pc, does that mean you have a 3600mhz system, or does it not work like that?? (hmmm, 8 2000mhz Clawhammers = 16,000mhz. Wow!) :eek: :D

No, I was talking about the sledgehammers(server based chip of the hammer series). The Clawhammers are small server and desktop user based. So you will most likely have the option of running a dual clawhammer system(I know they're capable of it). When you have dual cpu systems, they really need the software to make them work effictively. When done right, it can usually be about as effective as say a 1800mhz system or so if you have dual 1ghz(not sure about this but it's around there). Of course, that's only when they both focus on one thing. The great thing about dual cpu's is that you can have one doing something like folding or seti and the other whatever you want(internet, photoshop, whatever) at the same time and not miss a beat. I hope this helps answer your question and I hope I got the info right about how dual cpu's work;)

I think, like always, there will be a way to o/c these chips. I just havent found it yet. Yes, they are being made for the desktop. server chips and desktop chips all work the same way, except that server ones are made for multiprocessing.
Hitman thats exactly correct, u can be running 3dmark2001 on its own dedicated processor, while all of windows background stuff, ect., is all on the other processor. and proggies made for dual CPU'c can use both chips to 100% load at once.(so 2 2ghz chips=4ghz procesing power for that proggie)
hopefully by the time hammer is out folding will be configured to take advantage of duallies.
-Malakai

cyber mouse45 said:

How do you fit 8 cpus on one mobo??
they are big mobo's!:) actually, a board like that will prob be 2 boards thick, one for all the cpu's and another for the ram, pci, ect. the intel server boards have risers for all the dimm slots
-Malakai

Malakai said:
I think, like always, there will be a way to o/c these chips. I just havent found it yet.

I'll be studying up on this today to see if I can find a way. Never thought I'd be doing homework during spring break;) It's kind of hard to tell being as they're so far away, but I'm sure there will be some way of doing it. They have to get their ghz rating somehow right? I don't know, maybe a few e-mails to AMD won't hurt. This could be interesting.

good idea, ill email AMD and post what they send to me. I hope they dont just say"AMD doesnt support overclocking" like crucial said to me when i emailed them askin if they were uusing micron mem chips in their shipping models(just a few months ago)
-Malakai

Back