• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can 1+1+1 still equal 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Digital Pimp

hello, i'm interested in hooking up 3 or more computers to my home ADSL network, i have 2 computers now but am getting a 3rd. I have them networked now through a hub. My ISP only allows me to have 2 computers hooked up. 1 ip with each mac address 1+1=2. Just wondering if it's possible with software (hopefully) or hardware (no $$$) to hook more computers up so the end equasion still equals 2=1+1+1

i'm pretty proficent with computers, undersanding and stupidity allow me not to have fear when solving problems, so any creative solution would be greatly recieved...

Thanks, Digital

Have you thought about running a proxy server from one of the machines connected to the internet. You could then use that to share the internet to the rest of the network under one ip address.

A cheap router might be another idea to look into. again that will share your net connection under one ip address. Some routers will spoof a mac addres of a network card.

RED Hot Machine said:
Have you thought about running a proxy server from one of the machines connected to the internet. You could then use that to share the internet to the rest of the network under one ip address.

how would one go about setting up a proxy server?

Thanks, Digital

You will need to download the software first. Check out downloads.com and out a search in for proxy.

It will bring up a list of different proxy server programs.

I've used proxy+, it has lots of features for security.

Does your DSL plug into your hub at the moment ? or direct into one of the machines ?

I don't think that a proxy server will work if you have the DSL plugged into the hub, it will need to be running from one of the machines.

Setting up the proxy software is varies. But basically you install it, then tell the other machines to connect to the internet using an ip address. In IE your would put the ip address in tools>internet options>connections>lan settings>use proxy server.

thanks man that helps out a ton...

just so i 100% understand...

1. hook dsl up to a computer directly (server)
2. get another nic and throw it into the server
2a. install proxy server
3. hook the server up to the hub (as the uplink?)
4. hook other computers up to the hub and set them up to use a specified ip (specified by the proxy server?)

sound close?

Thanks, Digital Pimp.

Close
1. yes
2.yes
2a. yep
3. Connect the server as normal to the hub
4. Set the other machines to connection to the ip of the server machine (Normally, but not always)

Good Luck :D

**Edit Guys if this can be done from the Hud with a proxy correct me **

sweet. thanks for the help....
with this setup i can connect as many comps as the hub will allow?

the server must be on for the other comps to connect?

Yes you can connect as many comps as the hub will allow, or hubs connected to your current one.

That is the only downside is that the server has to be on all the time. If you have an old p200 or something around it would make an brilliant internet server.

hmm... i'll do one better.... a 486/66Mhz

hey red, seriously though... thanks for the advice, especially so quick to respond... props to u buddy.

Thanks, Digital Pimp

Back