• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to verify CPU is unlocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

malosi

Hello,
I have a athlon xp 1900+ (not OC), running on a a7v266e.
When I go to the bios to check on the cpu speed, it is at 12.0 and I find that I am able to adjust the speed. According to the manual of the MB I am not supposed to be able to change it unless I have unlocked the chip.
The settings run from 5 to 12.5/13. The system will only start up if it is 12 or 12.5/13, anything lower and no boot.
I have been able to get the MHZ up to 1727 (12.5/13 - 142/36).
So I know that its OCing but Im wondering if the Multiplier is really doing its job or if it is the fsb making the gain.
I hope this makes sense because I am new at OC. I have looked all over for some info on how to verify a possible factory unlocked chip or how to tell if the MoBo recognizes it.
Please any help before I do surgery on my chip would be greatly appreciated.

M

Welcome to the Forums.

Download a program called wincpuid. This shows what multipier and fsb you are running. Then try changing the multi and see if the has changed.

I've not heard off any xp's that are unlocked from the factory, if AMD are starting to realise them that would be cool. But i've got a feeling that it is just your fsb your are overclocking.

Wincpuid should look something like this, notice the multi is 9.5.

wincpuid.jpg

Thank you for your reply.
I had a feeling that was the answer. I am going to do a little bridge building now.
I was wondering, I hope this wont sound to dumb, if I lower the multiplier is there way to still make gains. Because my bios only goes to 12.5/13. unless after I unlock the chip it will then add some larger numbers?
Thanks again for your reply RED.
I'll get back with the results.

M

I believe 13 is the highest mutli used at the moment. When overclocking some people drop there multi down a bit so they can get their FSB higher. This is what i have done, the default is 10.5, but by dropping it down a bit i can get a higher FSB. I don't think that your bios will show any higher multi's but it might show some lower ones.

1900+ to 2000+

Just wanted to get back and say that I was able to unlock my 1900+ last night and found this morning that it has been transformed into a 2000+ along with the extra MHZ, from 1600 to 1667 according to wcpuid. I was wondering if this is a common thing.
It seems that my cpu was locked at 12, and only has one notch up 12.5/13. With the cpu unlocked I can now set it at a lower speed and it will boot up.
Well back to the mission, Max MHZ + Max Stability = Success.
Any comments would be great. And thank, again Red.

:D M

RED Hot Machine said:
Welcome to the Forums.

Download a program called wincpuid. This shows what multipier and fsb you are running. Then try changing the multi and see if the has changed.

I've not heard off any xp's that are unlocked from the factory, if AMD are starting to realise them that would be cool. But i've got a feeling that it is just your fsb your are overclocking.

Wincpuid should look something like this, notice the multi is 9.5.

wincpuid.jpg

lol he just wanted show show his 170fsb off :p

Back