• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using AMD XP1800 in Asus A7V133 MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rand

Registered
Just popped in my new XP1800, and running into some stability issues. Cpu is very quick, but several games now refuse to even load, or crash later. Even Mad Onion doesn't complete. I'm using Kingmax 150 Mhz. ram, memory set to SPD settings, optimal settings on MB bios. Running cpu at 11.5 multiplier X 133 bus. Using a Gainward GeFOrce 3 200 Ti card. Have updated to VIa 4 in1 dirver ver. 4.37, still no improvement. Set all bios settings to standard, Video card to original settings, still no improvement. Using WIn 98 SE. Is the instaiblity caused by Sdram use in lieu of DDR Sdram? Would installing XP help? Any ideas out there, or similar experiences. Also I left the Vcore to default and it seems to want 1.7 volts..Is that okay for this cpu? THanks!!

The A7V133 mobo is a KT133A based board and may have some issues with AthlonXPs. Make sure you have the latest BIOS.

I doubt that the XP is causing problems because it has SDRAM. I know someone who uses SDR RAM and an XP no problem.

I was running two sticks of Kingmax Pc150 Sdram...Experimented with running either one alone, and using different dimm slots. It rans Mad Onion fine with either stick of memory. Put both in and trouble was back. I also experimented with lowering memory timings to 333, and also found increased stability. Seems like everything is okay with slower memory timings and just one stick of memory. Will experiment with one stick of 256 Mb Kingmax Pc 150 Sdram.

If anyone has other advise on bios settings, etc., that would allow using original two stick of sdram I'd really appreciate the info.

Prior to ordering Cpu I did flash bios to verison 1007, which according to Asus supports up to 2000 Athlon XP cpu.

When you say popped in do you mean replaced another CPU? You may want to try reinstalling windows if this is the case.

I just finished booting from a floppy and re-installing windows 98 SE. Is this method okay, or do I have to perform a complete reformat/re-install of operating system? So far things are going well. I'd love to use both sticks of memory.

Back