• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need to overclock an amd k-6 plz help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[EG]~NaTz~

ok heres my problem i am running a amd k-6 cpu running @ 233mhz with 48 mb of ram and onboard video. it is going to serve the remainder of its life as a half life dedicated server(counter-strike). i wanna take the cpu speed upto 300mhz. to help the performance.i will up the ram to 128 though.now heres the big problem ITS A COMPAQ! does anyone know how to o/c it because the bios multiplier is blocked i need some serious help i am foreign to the machine sop anything is helpful.

Welcome to the Forums

Are there any jumpers setting on the motherboard ? And do you have the manual for it.

If you don't have the manual, can you let us know what the FIC number is. You can look up the FIC on the net and normally find a manual to tell you more about the board.

You can try overclocking in software using something like SOFTCPU or SOFTFSB.

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

K6-series cpus dont overclock very well unfortunately and being a Compaq will make it a lot harder.

Is there an option to change bus speed in the BIOS? If so, try 83.3MHz - that should give you 291.55Mhz If I am correct.

Given the way major system manufacturers try to prevent overclocking by limiting the jumpers / switches I suggest you try to use CPUFSB or SoftFSB to up the front side bus from within windows. The PLL chip in the system may have the ability to run faster than the board's jumper design will allow.

Are you sure that you don't have a set of jumpers on that board that control the multiplier setting? Most older socket 7 boards that I've seen(newer one's too:D ) don't control the bios from the proc, but rather from a selectable multiplier or multi/fsb set of jumpers on the board. Unfortunately there were 2 different versions of the K6-233 chip. The first version put out had a high vcore. The K6-233ANR and K6-233APR series of chips used 3.2 and 3.3 volts vcore respectively and were not overclock-friendly at all. The K6-233AFR series had a vcore voltage of 2.2 volts vcore and are a little more overclockable. If you have an AFR proc, you stand a decent chance of getting to 300. or at least close to it.

One thing you can do is go to Compaq's site and look up your computer's model number and look up the jumper settings for various speed procs. Hope this helps you out.

thnx for all the help

email me
hey guys thnx a lot could someone plz email me the programs mentioned. i really appriciate the help! now all i have to do is get a bigger hard drive for the 233 to be a server and cool it.

Back