• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Contest Stats new formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robertm

Anyone checking the stats page will see the new formula and the new standings.

Had I been smart at the time. I would have done more research and the formula would not have to be changed.

Let me say this once and for all. No one broke any rules.

I am changing the formula do to the fact I do beleive it was not as fair as I had intended for poeple in the top of the pack. If it has been more fair the issue of someone folding under a new name would not have been a problem.

I could very well tweak the formula yet again. If I do it well be mostly do to the fact I would like everyone to have a 0 or better score. I tried this once before and it didnt work out as I wanted :)

I would also like poeple that changed and started folding for someone else "do to my poor math skills in not finding a better formula" to please change back or fold under your own ID.

At this time I would like everyone to take some time and reflect on this contest. I for one have learned alot from this contest. There are some things I would never do again in this kind of contest. And at the same time it has given me some ideas for other contest that would in my mind be more fun and not cause some of the problems this contest was flawed with.

I do think this contest had some basic flaws that could have been avoided. Now we as a team should not be dismayed by this contest but use it to learn better ways and more productive ways to run a contest for the team.

I know there was a few comments I should not have made as I only added fuel to fire per say.

I understand this formula change will not make everyone happy. Some might think I should have handled this in a differance maner or that I should have done nothing.

If you have any complaints think someone broke the rules feel the need to vent about this contest please PM me. Lets keep any ill word and feelings out of the forums as there counter productive to the team and our goals. Thank you

Robert

P.S. Its post like these when I realy miss spell checking

:beer: :beer: here..here

I commend u robertM.. You have handled this contest with extreme (overclocked?) patience and civillity.

Thank u for running a fair and impotent...er important contest ;)

May the FOLDING be with u

Ok do to the way excel publishes web pages I had a problem i could didnt see with the display of the formula.

As you can see I added some weighting to the old rank and the new rank. And I subtract the old rank now. This was a bit more inline with what I had intended to do. I might end up with a little change to the weighting but I think over all this formula would have been more fair from the get go. Sorry for the problem guys or gals as the case might be.

Ouch. Talk about being hit on the head with a hammer :eek:! I was doing so well under the old formula :D but I think it's great that you're trying your best to make this fair to everyone. Fold On!
We gotta beat those Aussies!:beer:

As has already been said, your contest and your rules, robertm.:) I think that I still can't win it because Mr_B has more horsepower than me but it still makes the competition fun.:) Plus I'll being going to work next week and will probably only leave 2 machines on folding while I'm at work through the end of the contest.

Anyways, fold on and may that XP do some serious folding for Team 32 because Rage3d.com is coming up behind quickly with their new "mystery" folding fiend.:eek:

ugghhh i missed something. can anyone shed some light on the contest in question? my ignorance knows no bounds.

KFB said:
ugghhh i missed something. can anyone shed some light on the contest in question? my ignorance knows no bounds.

The XP1600+ contest. See the sticky.

That looks to be a little more towards the fair side. Are you sure you're not just trying to kiss up to MrB? J/K:D
Good job on the page

Tweaked! said:
That looks to be a little more towards the fair side. Are you sure you're not just trying to kiss up to MrB? J/K:D
Good job on the page

Nope...only one smooching me is my wife...lol.

:D

Name New Rank Old Rank Difference Score Ranking
Mr_B 23 26 3 138.2346 1
Gandalf 120 158 38 126.5063 2
Muddocktor 32 35 3 99.1143 3
Jetmech 16 17 1 91.0235 4
Progman 222 526 304 90.8468 5
Belorsch 45 49 4 80.3827 6
Kendan 20 21 1 75.6190 7
Stymee 43 46 3 67.0674 8
Rezman5 58 63 5 63.4651 9
Newbie_Doo 54 57 3 42.9316 10
Daddio 241 416 175 42.6231 11
Willysnut 10 10 0 39.5000 12
Azhari 11 11 0 38.4500 13
Scoobie 12 12 0 37.4000 14
TT120 25 25 0 23.7500 15
Ralph_Kitchens 53 54 1 11.8685 16
BigBlockk 42 42 0 5.9000 17
Gonzo 78 81 3 2.1370 18
nihili 50 50 0 -2.5000 19
Yobbzz 52 52 0 -4.6000 20

I think this is the Top 20 as of 03/23/02 15:00 Eastern. Positions taken from Statsman.org
Not that I am keeping track or anything...;)

N_D

Gandalf is going to win, as several people have changed their ID's for the contest, and are now folding under his name.

One guy mentioned in the other thread something to the effect of "Let's show those bigshots with their 300 rig farms....let's fold for the little guy, and get him to win."

I won't be disappointed if I lose, but I'm sure not a huge conglomerate of machines. My "farm" consists of just three rigs;

XP 1800+ @ 1702
T-Bird 1.4 @ 1533
T-Bird 1.0 @ 1400

I've been scrambling all day (last two, really) trying to score a case and PSU for short money, to get my P/// 700E up and Folding again, so that I might still have a chance. I got a case for free, and then had to scrounge up a PSU....only thing I could find for cheap used (got for free, too...lol) was a 150W micro ATX wonder.

I finally got WinME to install, and as the rig was going thru the last bit of configuration just before you get to the desktop after install, it died. Mobo, I think. I've tried three different cpu's (P/// 700E, P II 233, and a C300A), and a couple of different sticks of SDRAM, and cleared the CMOS, etc...fans spin up, but no beep, no boot. I don't think all 3 cpu's are dead..... Sounds like the SH6 bit the big one.

Anyways...the long and short of it is...I'm not someone with a 300 rig farm. I'm just another bozo on the bus, with three rigs Folding 24/7 as hard as I can push them stably.

I'm not a "rich" boy either...With the exception of the XP and MSI board (won in the AMD XP tour stop in Boston), everything I have is 2nd (or more) hand.

Good luck, Gandalf. I'm gonna Fold till they bleed to try to keep up with ya. ;)

The way I figure it, in order for me to win I would have to move up 9 or 10 places. I just don't foresee this happening. ESPECIALLY since I am running a couple of Celerons. Maybe if I overclocked the XP1600+s?? (Rats! I promised the wife I wouldn't overclock her AMD XP1600 box...:( )

Oh well. No glory for me all by my lonesome. Brian, I guess we'll just have to watch them blow by us. :)

Cheers!

Anthony

I'm more bummed out as that combo was what I was planning for use as a server this summer. I was gonna set up a NASCAR 4 gaming server with that...:(

I just got a call...might have a replacement for the SH6 next week... Thank you, Anthony.... =)

Regardless of who wins, it's all good. The points all add up for Team 32. The idea behind the contest is to inject a bit of competition, and to try to entice new members to Fold with us. The above post wasn't designed to be a "rant", so please don't take it as one. Just wanted to state that I'm just another Team member, not "Networks-R-Us"

It certainly has injected some competition...lol. I hope we've gotten some new members, too. That's the real purpose behind this....

Fold on! :beer:

I hope the winner gets decided by a draw. That would be most fair and would give everyone a theoretical chance of winning (the more productive, the higher the chance).

I believe that no matter who wins, tha the contest was a success.. Our points are up and more folks have taken notice... WE really NEED to recruit more members.. we are so about to be stompped by yet another team.. and we're losing ground with [h] and AU :(.. im keeping my eyes out for cheap folding rigs (I way overspent on my 1900 rig should have built 4 less expensive ones instead) Oh well its something that needed to be done once
I wanted my first O/C project to be impressive.. I could have done better with less.. but hey, at least i didnt fry it (yet) LOL.. Good luck all and keep up the good work!!!

Sorry I havent keep the page up at home its not as easy here at home. I will try and work on this some tonight maybe. In any case I will update monday morning if not sooner. Well Look for another system am adding in the next week or two. I just orderd the parts for my first dual system a pair of MP1800s well be added soon.

Over all I think the changes in the contest where postive and I would like to thank everyone for being understanding even if you did like the change. Look for a new contest for another CPU down the road next one will have more to do with luck and less math :)

robertm said:
Sorry I havent keep the page up at home its not as easy here at home. I will try and work on this some tonight maybe. In any case I will update monday morning if not sooner. Well Look for another system am adding in the next week or two. I just orderd the parts for my first dual system a pair of MP1800s well be added soon.

Over all I think the changes in the contest where postive and I would like to thank everyone for being understanding even if you did like the change. Look for a new contest for another CPU down the road next one will have more to do with luck and less math :)

The new rig sounds like a real jammer!
And I agree with you, this did have a very positive effect. Just remember the most crucial point about the whole thing, it worked!;)

Back