• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card for CAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cluster

I need a video card to run a CAD program. I wasn't sure which company to look at. nVidia has the new Quadro4, ATI has the FireGL, 3Dlabs has the Oxygen, anyone got any info or opinions on these, or maybe another card?

Quadros

If you go for any Quadro, know that any Geforce can be converted into a Quadro with a little soldering. It will save you hundreds of dollars.

I have an Oxygen VX1. Great card for cad and 3D. I got it for under $75 and it has paid for itself at least 4 times. My render times were cut in half after I bought it. Get at least a 32 meg card. Now that the Wildcat III is out, the wildcat IIs and original wildacts will be even cheaper. So, if you have the money, go for a wildcat. The problem with 3Dlabs is that there is little to no games support, so if you do any gaming, you will have to run the game in safe mode.

Oxygens are nice though, the best deals are in order: Oxygen GVX1 32, Oxygen VX1 32, Oxygen GVX1 Pro 64, Oxygen GVX420, OxygenGVX210. (I don't even count the old VX1 16 because it is a piece of ***)
The GVX1 is a good deal because it provides very good rendering for its price, but if you are strapped for cash, go with the VX1. The VX1 isn't great, but it is a good "first pro card"
The GVX1 Pro, has a full 64 megs and that amount of memory becomes essential when dealing with polys or splines in the millions.
The GVX420 is 128 megs and produces excellent render times, this is the premier oxygen and is not only the size of a dinner platter, but is absolutely godlike. The 210 is more like a souped up GVX1 pro, the pro is a better deal, and if you have enough money for a 210, you should save up a bit and buy a 420.

That is my take on the Oxygen line, I would look on Ebay if I were you. Ebay is the only place you will find a 420 in mint condition for under $1000...
Futura

Thanks for the review on the Oxygen's. I've seen pics of them, they are big cards. I think i'd at least be goin with the 128meg 420. But i thought i remember seein one that was 256meg and up around the 1500-2000 dollar range. Maybe i was just dreamin but this would be more of what i'd be lookin for. I want something top of the line, cutting edge technology.

Your right about the GF2MX to Quadro2, but this doesn't work with the Quadro4, it's got it's own design for the core, and isn't just a simple resistor mod, plus this is for business purposes, i don't want a card that i can't get a warranty on it something goes wrong, so no resistor mods, but thanks anyway bro.

Thanks for the links too, they're a great help.

Any no matter what i get, you'll bet you'll be gettin a follow up on the performance.

Later.

Quadro 4

I think the Geforce 4MX's have been Quadro-hacked... not sure about the Ti's. Finding the info will just be a little more difficult since the Geforce 4 line is so new. You know Quadro 2 Pro's are like $650-$800 cards, and GF2 Pros and Ti's make a pretty good Quadro 2 Pro... Not sure if that's enough power for your application or not though....

Top of the line?
Cutting Edge!
You want the Wildcat 3 6210 my friend...
http://www.3dlabs.com/product/wildcatIII_6210_index.htm
416 megs of onboard memory...
The card is absolutely godlike, but they are not retail.

What are you rendering anyways?

If you have the money for a wildcat, you might even think of getting one of the ART RenderDrive RD5000s. That is the top card. Basically a render farm in the form of a card.
read about it here:
http://www.art-render.com/products.ihtml?page=rdrivespecifications
Unfortunately, it is ungodly expensive, and costs more than most cars...
Futura

Back