• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a few WC questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AxE

Registered
Hi,

I ordered a water block from swiftech that uses 3/8" fittings and I purchased the eheim 1048 pump (thanks to the overall superb reviews) and a radiator from a local car shop. I have yet to modify the radiator but im thinking of using 1/2" fittings or barbs (whats the difference?). How do I do it and what do I need?

My real concern is if I can purchase a resorvoir becuase im rather leary about making my own. And is there anything wrong with mixing a 1/2" radiator and a 3/8" system? I don't think its bad if I pass the 3/8" inside the 1/2" tubbing is it?

SOrry if this has already been asked but I didnt find it in the search. I know about water cooling, i just don't know the technical stuff behind assembling it all that well.
thanks again and please delete the thread if you find that my questions have already been asnwered elsewhere.

I ordered a water block from swiftech that uses 3/8" fittings and I purchased the eheim 1048 pump (thanks to the overall superb reviews) and a radiator from a local car shop. I have yet to modify the radiator but im thinking of using 1/2" fittings or barbs (whats the difference?). How do I do it and what do I need?

1/2'' fitting are for 1/2'' hose and 2/8'' are for 3/8''. you can't use both. 1/2'' lines are less restrictive. if you want to use 1/2'' lines you would have to convert block for it.

My real concern is if I can purchase a resorvoir becuase im rather leary about making my own. And is there anything wrong with mixing a 1/2" radiator and a 3/8" system? I don't think its bad if I pass the 3/8" inside the 1/2" tubbing is it?

you have an inline pump and they don't need a resivor. you will need to add a couple of tees so you can fill and bleed your system also get some water wetter or purple ice to add to your water.

as far as putting the fitting on your heater core you have three options you can solder them on, used flared fittings, or you can use compression fittings. compession fitting would be the easiest with less tools.

What I did was take my heater core into Lowes, and made sure the fittings would fit onto the heatercore. The fittings on my core are 5/8" but I converted them down to 3/8" and I am using pvc barbs. I was all set to learn how to solder copper as well, when the salesman there pointed me to something called "Copper Bond", he said it was pretty good, and a heck of a lot easier to use. Let me tell you, it is so simple you can't mess it up. First get a Brillo pad and clean up the copper fittings. Next, you just get a piece of paper or something, spread some of each tube out in even amounts, mix for 30 seconds, and take the mixture, rub some on the outside of one fitting, and the inside of the other fitting. Then fit them together with a twist as you put them together, and in 50 minutes you have a nice leakproof connection.

Thin walled silicone hose (3/8") can be stretched to fit 1/2" fittings. Danger den carries the hose.

All of this is measure inside diameter.

Yes you can pass the 3/8 into the 1/2 you will lose some flow though and reduce your cooling ability a small amount. I did the same thing on my first water cooling system quite a while back but you would be better off going with all one size hose.:beer:

Back