• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

northbridge cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdmcnudgent

ok, heres the sistuation: i have a vapochill, and i am only able to boot this sucker to 127fsb, and i couldnt finish 3dm at this speed, but ran prime95 for a while with no errors or shutdowns. now, my northbridge gets up to like almost 50' at load, and that is extremely hot, i think. i have removed the heat sink, lapped it, and put as3 on it, and put it back on. i have noticed the temps, and i was wondering if this is holding me back from higher fsb's. i would like to push this chip to atleast 3.0gig, but i keep running into problem after problem. what could i do to get these northbridge temps down. thanks for the help.:D

Northbridge cooling.....

What I do, and I find it helps, is remove the HS/F fron the N-chip and place a piece of copper under it before reinstalling the HSF assembly.

-chip-ASx-copper plate-ASx-HSF-
also lap the copper and the HS B4 install.

Thier are alot of variables. Vcore, Mem voltage,
Mem Type are some, as I'm sure you're aware of.

-Max that Vcore out and find a stable O/C then back it down a bit at a time. Sometimes maxing the mem voltage helps too.

The copper under the N-bridge... I got mine from Ace Hardware for about $5.00. Use a dremel to cut to size. - File the edges, lap, and install.
This also works great for vid card memory/ HS install. :eek:

Good Luck.
:cool:

Well, putting a chipset cooler fan on it might help some. The lapping was a very good idea but if you don't have alot of fans in the system, the passive cooling effect won't work very well for OC'ing. I would either put a chipset cooler on it or put a fan in the case which is blowing right at the northbridge hs. Just my $0.02.

I would say that your north bridge temps are holding you back. Also your case temps look a little high. Definitely get a good north bridge cooler made out of copper. I don't really know much about the vapochill systems but I can't recall ever seeing anyone with one show that high of a case temp. and also I don't think I would go cutting a hole in the case to blow external air over the bridge from what I do remeber reading abot them is that they are sealed up pretty well and are meant to be for the system to work properly.

WarriorII said:
Northbridge cooling.....

What I do, and I find it helps, is remove the HS/F fron the N-chip and place a piece of copper under it before reinstalling the HSF assembly.

-chip-ASx-copper plate-ASx-HSF-
also lap the copper and the HS B4 install.

Thier are alot of variables. Vcore, Mem voltage,
Mem Type are some, as I'm sure you're aware of.

-Max that Vcore out and find a stable O/C then back it down a bit at a time. Sometimes maxing the mem voltage helps too.

The copper under the N-bridge... I got mine from Ace Hardware for about $5.00. Use a dremel to cut to size. - File the edges, lap, and install.
This also works great for vid card memory/ HS install. :eek:

Good Luck.

i doubt that putting a bit of copper underneth will increse the performance. The largest paroblem with heat transfer from on surface to another is the way the two surface mate. Adding the copper will drasticly reduce the ammount of heat transfered.

Personally, I would get an IU cooler. Consider the Jag or the Alpha one, looks like your stock cooler isn't cutting the mustard. Also pick up some Arctic Alumina Adhensive as well, since those IU coolers are meant for rack mounts and actually use the socket clips. Lap it before using it... Looks like anything you mod to the current cooler won't necessarly help as it's getting that hot with a lapped chipset cooler, and AS3. Before trying this if you haven't, is putting a fan on the chipset cooler. Also check the contact of that Northbridge.

Yodums

Adding the copper will drasticly reduce the ammount of heat transfered

OMG! Bahahaha! Think about it a minute.

A .25" thick piece of copper under an aluminum HS.
What is Alpha doing? ...copper inserts.....
A lapped .25" piece of copper, AS and a lapped aluminum HS, w/a fan on it....mini alpha!

quote:
--------------------------------------------
The largest paroblem with heat transfer from one surface to another is the way the two surface mate.
-------------------------------------------
This is why we use AS,AS2,AS3 between the mating surfaces of what we build.

Copper absorbs heat better than Aluminum.
Aluminum disipates heat better than copper.

WarriorII said:

A lapped .25" piece of copper, AS and a lapped aluminum HS, w/a fan on it....mini alpha!

quote:
The largest paroblem with heat transfer from one surface to another is the way the two surface mate.

AS AS2 AS3 as not as good as the bonding of alpha's copper to Aluminum. Just lapping any heat sink and using a good heat sink compound would be better then adding a another barrier to heat transfer.

mustangman said:
I would say that your north bridge temps are holding you back. Also your case temps look a little high. Definitely get a good north bridge cooler made out of copper. I don't really know much about the vapochill systems but I can't recall ever seeing anyone with one show that high of a case temp. and also I don't think I would go cutting a hole in the case to blow external air over the bridge from what I do remeber reading abot them is that they are sealed up pretty well and are meant to be for the system to work properly.
i am not even running the VC with the case on. i just picked up a crystal orb, and i am gonna slap that sucker on and see what happens.:D

The orbs I have used have never been flat you might want to lap that before you put it on. Nice looking case I just cant bring myself to pay that much for a case LOL :)

The Crystal Orbs are actually flat, which wasn't the case with the Blue Orbs. You might want to lap the Corb anyway, the base is plated like the rest of it, and I don't think plating is very helpful to cooling.

WarriorII said:

quote:

Actually Alpha Heatsinks are cold forged and the copper insert is placed during the cold forging resulting in a almost seamless interface. Big difference between cold forged inserts and ASA mating two metals together.

PS jdmcnudgent thats one sweet setup you have going on there hombre. I hope the Corb does the job for you.

I'm not going to argue with any 1 over this.
We all find different ways of doing things, and share them here in the fourms.

We share what works for "us". It may or may not work for the next guy to try it.

If I had a silver slug to do it with I would.
But I can't find N-E locally, so I use copper.
It has worked fantastic for "me". And I shared this with "you".

jdmcnudgent - That's a sweeeeet lookin rig ya got there. Good luck with the Corb on it.

Keep on Clockin-

well, i dont think that the corb did the trick. unless the temp sensor is not accurate. i ran prime 95 flawlessly for 2 hrs, and checked temps, and they were outrageous. well, i have the gigabyte 8IRXP coming this week, and if i dont have success with this, i will put that in, and i might have to get a 1.6a too.:(and o ya, thanks fellas. i like it too, but i was at 2500 with air cooling before i bought the VC, and im still in the same place. with the VC, i wanted to be able to atleast take the system to 3.0gig, but it aint looking promising. will be keeping yall posted.:D

I could be way off here man, but are you sure that Vapochill is even working? Thats a sub-zero cooler and you are showing CPU temps around 45C. I am almost positive that either those sensors are not working or your vapochill unit isnt working.

Istari

Istari1 said:
I could be way off here man, but are you sure that Vapochill is even working? Thats a sub-zero cooler and you are showing CPU temps around 45C. I am almost positive that either those sensors are not working or your vapochill unit isnt working.

Istari
the cpu is running at sub zero temps, but it reports it funny. you saw that it said that the cpu temp was at like 43.50, but the sensor for that is in the zif, and the chill control gives the temp of -13, at load, and that is at the core of the cpu, or the top of the processor. dunno, not at my current speed, with the corb, i can atleast finish 3dm, by the way, i just broke ten yall. look here :D

Back