• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Desktop Overkill - 10980XE, 64 GB RAM, 3080 Ti, water cooled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
The 2021 rebuild of this desktop can be found starting on page 4.

-----------------------------

Continuing with my theme of "Overkill" projects, I've decided to extend it to my desktop. You can see my previous threads Rackmount Overkill and Little Overkill.

While I could go insanely overkill, spending many many many thousands on processors alone, I decided to be somewhat reasonable with costs (I know. I know. I'm sorry.), while going full out in places I could. However, the computer will still be stupid fast, which makes it worthy of an Overkill thread.

It is appropriate to start with the current hardware I'm running, to show the differences.

CPU: Intel 3570K i5
Mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Mem: 32gb G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz :)()
GPU: GTX 770 Classified
HDD: 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2x 1 TB WD Black
Case: Lian Li V1020B
Monitors: 4x LG 27" 2560x1600

I don't seem to have updated pictures of my current case, so I'll be sure to take some shots when putting it together. I do have an old shot of my monitor setup, which is definitely in the ballpark of "overkill".

DSC_0593.jpg

Last edited:
The processor, memory, motherboard, and main hard drive are being replaced with:
CPU: Intel 5820K i7 (6 core 3.6 GHz)
Mem: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 32 GB DDR4 2800 MHz CAS 15
Mobo: AsRock X99 WS EATX LGA2011-3
SSD: Intel 750 series PCIe NVME

I was hesitant to grab an AsRock board considering their previous offerings, but Austin (ATMINSIDE) has assured me their new boards are nothing short of incredible. I'll ban him if it isn't. Or I might just do it for fun, anyway. Haven't decided. This board should fit in my current case, but I may have to swap it.

The SSD is insane overkill and multiple times faster than my 1 TB Evo. I'll keep both, but the OS/main drive will be the Intel.

Last edited:
Sub'd! looks to be awesome. Plus I want to know when Austin gets banned. hehe

No GPU upgrade?

It is tempting to upgrade the graphics card, but for the games I run (which to be honest, isn't often anymore), the 770 does fine. I'll probably hold out and grab a used 980.

My main concerns are running a lot of concurrent threads (Visual Studio, virtual machines, plus a lot of other programs), lots of fast memory, and fast disk. My current system does "ok" with the current workload, but there have been more than a few times I've asked way more of the processor/ssd than it can give. To make matters worse, I recently had an issue with stability that I couldn't resolve, so I'm running totally stock settings.

Last edited:
No they're sweet. I'm just messin' with ya. I know what you mean about the GPU. The only games I'm into right not is WoT & HotS. I think I could play both on my GTX460 at max settings. :shrug:

(Mental note: stop razzing mods)

Pff, I don't mind. Makes my night less boring. I don't play games often anymore, and the ones I do simply aren't stressful enough to warrant an upgrade.

Is it just me, but I wouldn't think Microsoft 3.1 would be overkill anything. Probably less headache than current OS's though, I preferred 98SE, I wonder how that would operate on a current computer these days? Off track, love the monitors, looks like you got room for 2 more later on. I dream of a 4 monitor setup like that.

Is it just me, but I wouldn't think Microsoft 3.1 would be overkill anything. Probably less headache than current OS's though, I preferred 98SE, I wonder how that would operate on a current computer these days? Off track, love the monitors, looks like you got room for 2 more later on. I dream of a 4 monitor setup like that.
You'd probably run into driver issues; emulation would be the way to go and it should be stupid fast.

I left my options open in case I wanted to mount small reference speakers there, or add two more monitors. To add more monitors, I'd have to add a graphics card.

You'd probably run into driver issues; emulation would be the way to go and it should be stupid fast.

I left my options open in case I wanted to mount small reference speakers there, or add two more monitors. To add more monitors, I'd have to add a graphics card.

Add a Titan X then use the 770 to drive two more monitors.
Problem solved.

It's lookin like ATM is workin on the boot. If you opposed the X in Titan go with the X in Fury, might not be as good, but it's a different X so it shouldn't hurt anyone's sensibilities.

Not sure how emulation works, but isn't that just where you ask certain programs to work in a different environment? That's for me to look up and not take away from your thread, sorry.

Why not put your speakers on the desk up there, leaves more room for piles of paperwork to be scattered making it look like your working harder than you are, I found it was always best to look like your working extra hard rather than working extra had for nothing extra. Workin' hard at Hardly Workin' was my favorite modo.

It's lookin like ATM is workin on the boot. If you opposed the X in Titan go with the X in Fury, might not be as good, but it's a different X so it shouldn't hurt anyone's sensibilities.
Not sure what you mean by this, but if you want me to look at AMD/ATI: no. Their offerings are pretty crap, ha.

Not sure how emulation works, but isn't that just where you ask certain programs to work in a different environment? That's for me to look up and not take away from your thread, sorry.

Why not put your speakers on the desk up there, leaves more room for piles of paperwork to be scattered making it look like your working harder than you are, I found it was always best to look like your working extra hard rather than working extra had for nothing extra. Workin' hard at Hardly Workin' was my favorite modo.
I don't care if we take it a little off topic. Virtualbox has an option for Windows 3.1, so I'd suspect it runs pretty decent, especially with today's hardware. You'd be running the entire operating system in a virtual machine.

The speakers on my desk are much much larger and heavier than they look. Mounting them on the top ends like that would either break the stand, or cause it to be wobbly/dangerous. If I ever replaced them with something smaller, it would be trivial to hang them on the ends.

LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL, asking Corey to buy AMD/ATI.
You'll get him to spend $2K for an NVidia card that performs the same as a $200 AMD/ATI.

Aww yeah. Intel 750 400 GB NVME SSD and the mounting bracket for my Noctua heatsink.

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

Got everything torn apart, waiting on the new hardware. It better come today.

Back