• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a bios update, what for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o770

i need to know:
i cant run any direct3d application without a lockup and nothing i tried out already seems to solve the problem. i tested my video card in my cousins machine; it was also tested with the stores machine, when i asked to rma it. It worked perfectly with both. can a bios update help me solving the lockups? can a bios update help me to solve the lockups, even after it works in both machines?
thanks.

It could... but if there's an updated bios for your vid card I'd suggest getting it. What problems are you having? Are you using agp 4x? Might try lowering that to 2x... usually not a noticable difference in performance but adds to the stability. When do the lockups occur?

lock-ups

Lock-ups might be caused by your cpu or OS or drivers, since the card seems to be working in other machines. Describe the problem and what you've tried to isolate it...

i got saving and updating the bios.. nothing changed!

my card is a palit geforce3 ti200 which will work normally with two other different machines i tested yet. the original bios revision was the 3.20.00.20.00, this is a ti500 bios. plait must be using the same for both cards but they must be changing only the frequencies and other such things.

i then got the proper ti200 reference bios - forgot to say, palit uses nvidia reference bioses on its cards; 3.20.00.19, everything is just the same. this can only be a loop problem.
anyway i wont start saying everything i tried out already. i expect you can help me suggesting anything you have on mind, because i cant think on anything anymore.

system will lockup only when running a direct3d application. ive tested it with 3dmark2k1se and nfs porsche unleashed, respectively directx8 and 7 programs. now the installed vcard driver is 23.11; before updating the bios i tried out 23.11, 27.42 and 28.32 without even a tiny change.

this is my system specs:
pentium iii 800eb not overclocked
asus tusl2-c/intel 815ep
256mb nec ram 3-3-3
palit g3 ti200 not overclocked
nic realtek rtl8139A
live! 5.1 oem
seagate barracuda ataIV 40GB 7200rpm
cd-rom
400W psu 3.3V=20A
w2k pro

thanks a lot for the attention.

Try running the DirectX 8.1 update program again. Sometimes, some files get changed and it screws up directx and direct3d. Run the DirectX 8.1 setup again and it will search out and update any old files.

cmcquistion said:
Try running the DirectX 8.1 update program again. Sometimes, some files get changed and it screws up directx and direct3d. Run the DirectX 8.1 setup again and it will search out and update any old files.

i think i made four os fresh installations already, trying to solve the problem without updating drivers or changing some critical setting. for ex.: i tried one installation using the regular ACPI mode, then i reformatted and installed everything up again using the APIC mode; or when changing some driver version. im pretty sure that directx issue cant be a problem. thanks for your words.

Back