• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a good ALL aluminum waterblock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CryptokiD

in an attempt to minimise the effect of multipule metals in my water cooling system, i have eliminate everyhitng but aluminum, plastic, and the stainless steel shaft of my penguin powerhead inline pump.

oh and the magnet for the pump too. i tpook the pump apart and looked carefully at everyhitng and the only metal that touches water is the stainless steel shaft. my radiator is aluminum. hoses are well, plastic.
its kinda funny how i fould the pump, my fish tank has a secondary redindant pump that is now going to be used for my computer. because i have a 24/7 air stone in there as well,so if the pump should fail its no biggie. yeah i was fish tankin' with fault tolerance!

ok back to normal stuff...
but most waterblocks i have seen use brass barb nipple things.
is brass a problem?
has anyone seen all aluminim waterblocks? if brass isnt going to be a problem, ill go with that:)

CryptokiD said:
in an attempt to minimise the effect of multipule metals in my water cooling system, i have eliminate everyhitng but aluminum, plastic, and the stainless steel shaft of my penguin powerhead inline pump.

oh and the magnet for the pump too. i tpook the pump apart and looked carefully at everyhitng and the only metal that touches water is the stainless steel shaft. my radiator is aluminum. hoses are well, plastic.
its kinda funny how i fould the pump, my fish tank has a secondary redindant pump that is now going to be used for my computer. because i have a 24/7 air stone in there as well,so if the pump should fail its no biggie. yeah i was fish tankin' with fault tolerance!

ok back to normal stuff...
but most waterblocks i have seen use brass barb nipple things.
is brass a problem?
has anyone seen all aluminim waterblocks? if brass isnt going to be a problem, ill go with that:)
I don't think you need to worry too much about this there are a lot of people out there using copper blocks and aluminum rads. (tranny coolers) without problems. Add Waterwetter to your system and it will help reduce any potential battery affect that might occur (this is one of the lesser discussed benifits of it in fact I think the only time I have heard it discussed is with the guys I race with.) The only aluminum water blocks that I can ever remember seeing were ones made from old heat sinks that were enclosed in plexi or lexan and they didn't seem to work very well. Copper is a much better solution or if you can find one silver is great but expensive. I'm not sure if there is anyone out there making silver blocks right now the one guy that did is out of biz for screwing some people over and I can't think of the other companies name but I don't think there around anymore either.

i belive www.aquastealth.com still do a aluminum waterblock. So do most major waterblck makes. (i think DD and Swiftech are an exception) i really wouldn't worry though. as long as you use de inonised (also known as distilled) water and water wetter you should have no problem.

Don't be so quick to write off aluminum. Yes, the industry
has pretty much all jumped to copper, but that's because
of the FUD. Yes, all things being equal, copper will beat
aluminum and silver will beat copper. BUT all designs are
not equal. A properly designed aluminum WB can beat
a poor copper one.

Also, if you are not going for the edge, but just want
solid cooling with no problem with corrosion, in your
case, aluminum will be fine.

Perhaps Fixitt will make you a Spir@l out of aluminum as that was his orriginal prototype anyway. He's a pretty busy guy, though.

so copper wont be a problem for long term ehh?
thats cool then, i will go with copper.

i looked at the revew of the gemeni waterblocks on this website. its pretty impressive.

but their site is down for maintnene.
newegg.com sells the swifteh block.
ill probably wait till tuesday night to give gemeni a chance to come back online. if now, its gonna be swiftech for me.
thanks guys for clearing up the aopper/cluminum battery thing:)

oh yeah, whats this about a spir@l block?

copper and alu isnt a problem, my block is a popcan and a copper plate, no problems.... but i supose i havent been running my system much...

Even if you do get a buildup, there are some chemicals you can run through your system to clean it up later. CLR comes to mind. Just use water wetter (or equivalent) and maintain a schedule for cleaning it. I made a waterblock out of an aluminum heatsink and some acrylic and used it with a copper heater core. This was before I knew about water wetter. The build up was crazy in only a month! Thick green stuff!

The new Maze3 is supposed to be out later this week. If you can you may want to put his off for a short while and see how it performs against the Gemini. I was ready to buy a new block, Gemini, until I heard about the Maze3 and have decided to wait and see what others have to say about it and hopefully someone will do a review of it right away. According to DDs site they will cost the same to a little less than the Maze2.
Just a thought.

mustangman said:
The new Maze3 is supposed to be out later this week. If you can you may want to put his off for a short while and see how it performs against the Gemini. I was ready to buy a new block, Gemini, until I heard about the Maze3 and have decided to wait and see what others have to say about it and hopefully someone will do a review of it right away. According to DDs site they will cost the same to a little less than the Maze2.
Just a thought.

Friday to be exact, they will be shipping with the choice of 3/8 or 1/2 inch fittings and will cost about the same as the Maze2.

Back