• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much swap space had to reserve for memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firebird79

hi,
new to linux, i want to know how much space we had to put to swap file in order to get this old machine run linux smoothly? searching for all document in redhat or mandrake, found that the best is set twice as much as the physical memory. my machine has 16mb memory, so, is that possible to set larger than 32mb so can "more" improve the system? planning to set this old machine as router. thanks for infor

32mb should be fine. Just being a router, it shouldn't be very demanding on ram at all.

thanks for reply, how about if i want to set up an ssh and ftp server for that? should it be okey? i had 2 hd on that machine and one of them are small in capacity(100mb). is that good to put the swap file on another hd like i plan to put it on smaller hd.

firebird79 said:
thanks for reply, how about if i want to set up an ssh and ftp server for that? should it be okey? i had 2 hd on that machine and one of them are small in capacity(100mb). is that good to put the swap file on another hd like i plan to put it on smaller hd.

Putting the swap file on another Hard Disk should increase performance.

Back