• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless network range problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loweric

Registered
Hi, I am interest in building a wireless neteork in my workplace and I choose to use this product

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd.../Root/Networki...ndCables/WirelessNetworking/

The reason why I choose it is because it claims that it works in a range of 180 meter indoor and 550 meter outdoor. However the ethernet socket in the office is in level 2, and my computer will locate in level 5 which means the radio sigal needs to penetrate at least 3 concrete wall, I think the distance is around 100 metre (from the access point to my notebook computer), do u guys has any experience about this, and do u think it really can work in a range of 180 meter. Thanks for your help

Sure it will work with that range, as long as your going through normal household wood and drywall walls. But going through 3 sets of probably 12" thick, steel reinforced floors is probably going to cause problems. Not to mention things like desks being in the way of the signal also.

Why not keep it wired between the floors. Go from a normal hub on level 2 up to a normal hub on level 5 and plug the wireless transmitters/recievers into the hubs. That way the computers are still wireless, but you take the 3 concrete floors out of the equation.

I agree with kingslayer, there is no way that you will be able to get signal strength through 3 concrete walls.

It is tough enough to get the signal to pass though two or three walls in a house!

Probably going to have to go with a wired network.

3 concrete walls?? forget it!! not w/out spending some $$ for a strong aftermarket antenna!!

and NEVER believe what they said 'bout the max. range!! it will never happen inside a house! take 50% off from it, and feel u r quite lucky!!

i'm using a linksys wireless AP w/ Router + 4 Ports Switch as the main connection in my home network. also has another 4 ports switch to connection to my server/cruncher box.

good luck!

Because the access point is going to install in my workplace (a factory), I am not allowed to do any wiring between level 2 (my office) and level 5 (employee's accomodation). My only option to get internet access in level 5 is wireless. So, can u guys give me some opinion about how should I make it work in wirless. Any recommendation in after market antenna? Thanks very much :>

Hmmmmm....... it's because my boss won't allow me to do so...... The factory was built around 10 years ago (It doesn't look good unless I can hide it inside the wall, but it is too expensive and my boss won't allow me to dig the wall).

Last edited:
Thank you very much....... unfortunately I am not in US, maybe I need to find out where in Australia is selling products like this. You guy's help are really valuable.... Thanks again:)

I would sit the boss down and tell him like it is. If he wants a good solid network then he needs to let you lay some wire. But if that's not an options, then antennas may be the way to go. Go from a window on the 2nd floor to a window on the 5th floor. That may cure your problem.

Make your own antenna's.

I did it, works great. links up to a mile unobstructed LOS.

Pringles Yagi antenna

You can use just about anything as a reflector, even plain old tin cans. I used pringles cans, total cost was about $30 - and most of that was for the BNC connectors and some 50 ohm coax cable.

Toughest part I had was wiring in a pigtail that would connect the wireless card/AP to the antenna. If you need some info on how to do that, pm me and I can fill you in.

Back