• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

might get classroom comps to fold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slowmike

in my classroom there are 13 gateway E-4200 series comps, on all day and night. they are on a school network with internet. each student logs on to his name. which version will fold all the time, will the screensaver version work w/o putting the folding ss on?

If you have the access or permission you can set it up as a scheduled task or a service that runs at the start regardless of who logs in. I believe that the only way to make the screensaver version work is to have it run the folding screensaver and hope that the video drivers are up to par.

Posted by Kendan. Author is Cajun Man from I don't know what team. ;)

Well, this may not be what you are looking for. But have you tried to
schedule a task to run it upon system boot?

Just open the Control Panel and open Scheduled Tasks. Then click on Add
Scheduled Task. I will assume you are running the console (non-gui) version,
so you will have to click on the browse button and find the console exe file.

Then you can name the task and select When my Computer Starts. Next screen
you would enter Administrator in the user name field and the password you set
up for Administrator. Then on next screen, click on the open advanced
properties when I click finish.

After you click Finish, a new window pops up, click on the settings tab and
uncheck Stop the task if it runs for 72 hours 0 minutes. Click Apply and
then OK. Then when you re-boot it will start FAH console and you won't see
any Command Prompt window.

It will continue to fold hidden even if you log out.

It will work on the GUI version as well. You just pick the GUI exe and when
you re-boot, it runs and there is no icon in the tray next to the clock.

I don't know if this is considered a service or not. But it seems like it
does something similar to what a service does.

Great job. just make sure you have permission. These computers should add a fair bit our Output. How fast are they?

Keep up the great work.

i think they are between 300 to 500MHz, all 24/7 hopefully:D
how much will they fold all together?

slowmike said:
i think they are between 300 to 500MHz, all 24/7 hopefully:D
how much will they fold all together?

About 10-15/day scorewise. Roughly.

Tweaked- You could probably start the core_65 without the screensaver or without the other parts of the client but the front end of the client is what controls transmission of wu's to and from Stanford and needs to be run for everything to work properly. It would be best to avoid the screensaver if at all possible, but a screensaver is better than nothing. I think there are problems with the screensaver though and there may be opengl issues while running it.

Some good news, the graphical version doesn't need the screensaver activated to run. It automatically assigns the screensaver to it's own, but just switch it and it still runs ok. You can also run the graphical version as a service completely hidden and starts up with the computer, it works great! Hope this helps.

How can you completely hide it? I still end up with the little gear thingy in my taskbar. Although I have seen it error on its own before where the it was completely gone but core65 was still running. But I don't think it tried to submit it's results before I found it and fixed it.

:argue: Are'nt these little guys just too cool? They had me rolling when I first seen them.

hay ploaf, are you talking about the text-only console or the graphical one? will the text-only one work and not mess up the comp if you restart?

Tweaked! said:
How can you completely hide it? I still end up with the little gear thingy in my taskbar. Although I have seen it error on its own before where the it was completely gone but core65 was still running. But I don't think it tried to submit it's results before I found it and fixed it.

:argue: Are'nt these little guys just too cool? They had me rolling when I first seen them.

over on the enemy's page there is this program.

slowmike said:
hay ploaf, are you talking about the text-only console or the graphical one? will the text-only one work and not mess up the comp if you restart?

They should both work fine if you restart. If you use the GUI version you should really ditch the screensaver part of it. It doesn't work right for a lot of people, but the GUI version is completely fine. For Windows 2000/XP and Win98/ME there are simple ways to hide the client and still have it start when it boots without causing you grief. Windows 2000/Xp you can set up a scheduled task that doesn't expire and runs when the system boots regardless of who logs on. Win 98/ME you can use the very simple registry hack listed above that will start the client and it will allow it to work in the background without putting an icon in the sys tray. I've only used the GUI version for both of these.

Tweaked! said:

I've got one on win98se, one on win me, one on win95, & one on xp pro. that just about covers it.:D

That reg hack will work in 98/ME. I don't know that it's been tried in 95, but I would expect it to work. For XP I would use the sheduled task.

Back