• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I get someone's IP though CounterStrike?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Über~PhLuBB

Jedi Knight Senior
This half belongs here, half in the games section, but since it has to do with WAN, I figured here is better.

How can I get someone's IP through CounterStrike? I know it can be done, I've had my IP recited to me in game before.

i think you can use somthing like a packet sniffer to see where the packets taht are comeing to your computer are coming from

but im not an expert.

A packet sniffer is a program that finds out where the internet packets are coming from/going to. As for doing it in CS I have no idea.

-DarkArctic

If you're running the server, you can type "status" in the console. Not sure if it'll show IPs if you're only the client, but you can try.

Yakbak said:
If you're running the server, you can type "status" in the console. Not sure if it'll show IPs if you're only the client, but you can try.

That was my first thought, but the person who recited my IP as a threat was not an admin, nor was he on the actual server machine. He wasn't even on LAN, he was just some chump that knows something I don't.

Dark, where can I get a packet sniffer?

just wondering what you were doing (or he thought you were doing) that he would threaten you... I've been booted off servers for being much better than the other players while at the same time they dont bother my brother playing 5 feet from me... so I'm just wondering...

Krieger said:
just wondering what you were doing (or he thought you were doing) that he would threaten you... I've been booted off servers for being much better than the other players while at the same time they dont bother my brother playing 5 feet from me... so I'm just wondering...

I have the uncanny ability to anger people to dangerous levels with little or no effort. Call it a gift or a curse, but it happens all the time. Check some of my earlier posts here in the forums. I was very one sided and hypocritical.

Über~PhLuBB said:

That was my first thought, but the person who recited my IP as a threat was not an admin, nor was he on the actual server machine. He wasn't even on LAN, he was just some chump that knows something I don't.

Dark, where can I get a packet sniffer?

i saw a free on over at www.betanews.com

youll have to search becuase its been a while

I got ASniffer, and tried it out with AIM and StarCraft, but all it shows is the ISP's IP, not the actual person's IP.

I know you can do it if your there server op and maybe the admin but I pretty sure no one else can see your ip, unless they have a packet sniffer wich could of been included with a cheat (ogc) by this time.

mabey he just asked the admin what your ip address was

The netstat commands will only show who's connected to YOURSELF, and since you're not serving CS to everyone else (not running the server), you'll only see your IP and connection to the CS server, and no one elses.

I'm not sure but I believe the first step is to know the players wonid. If you know the persons screen name and the server name/address (duh) you can get the wonid from Champions League for Quake. They track all Quake/Halflife/mod players.

A good packet sniffer is called 'snort' I am not sure where to get it. I don't currently use it with windows as I have no need. I run a Linux firewall, router, file-server, print-server and DHCP for my LAN. Snort is used on my firewall which is maintained by a colleague of mine. I am too lazy to learn Linux right now. He tells me that 'snort' is the best packet sniffer he has ever used. Do a search for it, I think it is free and I think it works with windows.

The IP that was recited to you. Was it the IP assigned by your ISP or the IP that you set on your windows machine?

If you run a good firewall, Linux on a dedicated firewall is best, you should have very little to worry about from guys like this. I like Zonealarm on my windows machines. Never gets any traffic to block because Linux does that first. But I am really ANAL about security so I run a backup on each of my machines that run windows. Just to be 100% sure of having an intrusion free system.

BTW Zonealarm is free at www.zonelabs.com

A packet sniffer won't work for two reasons.
First off, your computer only has a connection to the server, not the other clients (players)
Secondly, Counter strike runs on the UDP protocol.
It breaks down like this:
The two "connection oriented" protocols used by TCP/IP are TCP and UDP. With TCP, when you send someone a packet, the recipient sends an acknowledgment back saying it received the packet.
With UDP, you send a packet and hope that it gets to the recipient in time and intact. The recipient only receives the packet and doesn't acknowledge that its received. So if the packet is corrupt or late, the recipient throws it out and moves on to the next one.

With counter strike (or just about any game) the server is the center for the reception and distribution of information. So when player A shoots at player B, player A isn't making a UDP connection to player B's computer. Instead, player A is making a UDP connection to the server, which analyzes the data, and then the server makes a UDP connection to player B's computer and sends the data.

So what this means is that the person that told you your IP probably had some program that exploited the server's "status" command in some way. On second thought, it probably sent an RPC (remote procedure call) to the server to have the server send it's TCP/IP connection list. Or something along those lines.

What you need is a program that will gather a remote computer’s connections or something that will exploit the status command on the CS server. I’m guessing that if you find one that will work for any of the quakes or halflife, it will most likely work for CS.

Hope that helps.

-D9K

Back