Notices

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Seti Team
Seti Team Search the stars with Overclockers SETI Team! Is ET really out there? How do worm holes and black holes work? We can find out with your help.
Forum Jump

CPU XP or MP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-28-02, 01:29 PM Thread Starter   #1
Just shoot

10 Year Badge

CPU XP or MP

I'm going to by a new chip and been debating on this for a couple of days. Wondered if the MP's crunch any faster than the XP. Their's ony one instance in the benchmark database and its a 1.2. I'm curious how fast one of the MP's crunch say a 1900 or so. I thought they came already unlocked but I'm not positive, this would make for a quick OC.

Old 03-28-02, 01:33 PM   #2
LandShark
Super Shark Moderator

10 Year Badge

everything else equal, mobo, memory, etc.

100% the same!! since there's no techincally difference between XP & MP. phyiscally, the newer XP has their bridge cut to disable the SMP mode on them. MP is factory unlocked.

but performance wise, they r the same.

Got SOLD? MOVE your own thread!

Folding User Stats
How many GHz of Intel + Nvidia folding power? Dunno! Lost count!

| F@H Vista Sidebar gadget | F@H Yahoo Widget | F@H iGoogle gadget |

| My Heatware | My New HTPC 3.0: Server/Client setup + Better energy efficiency |
LandShark is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-28-02, 02:23 PM   #3
TC
Senior Seti Addict

10 Year Badge

They're exactly the same chip. Only difference is some of the XP's now come with one of the L5 bridges cut so they won't work properly in smp until the bridge is closed.

Old 03-28-02, 02:27 PM   #4
SpeeDj

10 Year Badge

And the other difference is the MP's are certified and guaranteed to work beyond a shadow of a doubt without any problems whatsoever in SMP Rigs. The quality of an MP Chip is higher as well as the stress testing.

J

.: Seti @ Home Team BoD ... ET Phone Home ?
:: Learn to Overclock @ www.overclockers.com

.: I wear the pink ribbon in loving memory of my Aunt Cheryl : 1948 - 2004 | And for Nedclocker's Sharon : 1962 - 2003 |
:: Seti@Home ::
SetiStats :: S@W
:: Folding@Home ::
FoldingStats :: MoreStats
:: "Got Dual?" - Cyklopz
:: "Got Hosting?" :]
:: The wind whispers of change to come...
:: -- OCG : OverClockedGamerz "How fast can you frag?"
:: -- Home for the Overclockers.com Gaming Clans!
SpeeDj is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-28-02, 05:05 PM   #5
TC
Senior Seti Addict

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeeDj
And the other difference is the MP's are certified and guaranteed to work beyond a shadow of a doubt without any problems whatsoever in SMP Rigs. The quality of an MP Chip is higher as well as the stress testing.

J
They're certified not to have the L5 bridge cut lol. They don't overclock any better, so I'm not sure why they would have passed more rigorous stress testing. I think it's simply AMD's way of charging a lot more for the same thing. Just like P4 xeons cost a lot more but are basically the same as a regular P4 with smp enabled. Of course with P4's there's no known way of getting them to run in smp, and no socket 478 dual boards that I know of.

Old 03-28-02, 05:10 PM   #6
SpeeDj

10 Year Badge

AMD has stated as have many others that not every XP is able to do SMP very well, but the MP's are guaranteed to do it and do it well. Some of the XP's just are not dual worthy chips and unless you have money to go out and try another one, or a nice vendor in the area willing to let you swap chips it's a safer bet to go with the MP's out of the box. Me I am an adventurous one, so when the time comes I will try my luck.

J

.: Seti @ Home Team BoD ... ET Phone Home ?
:: Learn to Overclock @ www.overclockers.com

.: I wear the pink ribbon in loving memory of my Aunt Cheryl : 1948 - 2004 | And for Nedclocker's Sharon : 1962 - 2003 |
:: Seti@Home ::
SetiStats :: S@W
:: Folding@Home ::
FoldingStats :: MoreStats
:: "Got Dual?" - Cyklopz
:: "Got Hosting?" :]
:: The wind whispers of change to come...
:: -- OCG : OverClockedGamerz "How fast can you frag?"
:: -- Home for the Overclockers.com Gaming Clans!
SpeeDj is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-28-02, 06:29 PM Thread Starter   #7
Just shoot

10 Year Badge

Well that seems to be one heck of a scam. I would have thought that they might have a bigger cache but they don't even have that. Thanks guys for the response, the seti gods come through again.

Old 03-28-02, 07:12 PM   #8
FRANK

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeeDj
AMD has stated as have many others that not every XP is able to do SMP very well, but the MP's are guaranteed to do it and do it well. Some of the XP's just are not dual worthy chips and unless you have money to go out and try another one, or a nice vendor in the area willing to let you swap chips it's a safer bet to go with the MP's out of the box. Me I am an adventurous one, so when the time comes I will try my luck.

J
Is buying an XP's rather than an MP any more of a gamble than pumping 2.02v through the CPU or taking a soldering iron to brand new perfectly good motherboard?

From my experience I'd say that it's a good bet.

Old 03-28-02, 07:20 PM Thread Starter   #9
Just shoot

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Is buying an XP's rather than an MP any more of a gamble than pumping 2.02v through the CPU or taking a soldering iron to brand new perfectly good motherboard?

From my experience I'd say that it's a good bet.
LOL

Old 03-28-02, 11:37 PM   #10
LandShark
Super Shark Moderator

10 Year Badge

for the money of a MP chip, i'll certainly take my chance as i've done it. check my sig.

Got SOLD? MOVE your own thread!

Folding User Stats
How many GHz of Intel + Nvidia folding power? Dunno! Lost count!

| F@H Vista Sidebar gadget | F@H Yahoo Widget | F@H iGoogle gadget |

| My Heatware | My New HTPC 3.0: Server/Client setup + Better energy efficiency |
LandShark is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-29-02, 01:25 PM   #11
TC
Senior Seti Addict

10 Year Badge

There's no risk of damaging anything by trying an XP. If it doesn't work you just sell the chips.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Overclockers.com Teams > Seti Team
Seti Team Search the stars with Overclockers SETI Team! Is ET really out there? How do worm holes and black holes work? We can find out with your help.