• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron Burning In Hell Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gilgamesh

Ok i've just got set up a new system the specs are:
Duron 1.0 Ghz
ECS K7SEM
128 mb Sdr
some hd, cd and modem.
Ok i'm really in trouble the system reaches 57 C in idle and don't want to tell the load :eek:.
The duron is cooled by a thermalright sk6, and artic silver adhesive, i have no case fan whatsoever. I've just reapalied a thin layer of artic silver. Anyone has a good solution? Do really case fans low the temp? Should i get some?

Gilgamesh said:
Ok i've just got set up a new system the specs are:
Duron 1.0 Ghz
ECS K7SEM
128 mb Sdr
some hd, cd and modem.
Ok i'm really in trouble the system reaches 57 C in idle and don't want to tell the load :eek:.
The duron is cooled by a thermalright sk6, and artic silver adhesive, i have no case fan whatsoever. I've just reapalied a thin layer of artic silver. Anyone has a good solution? Do really case fans low the temp? Should i get some?

Ok, it would be helpful to know what kind of case you've got. It's possible that you're just recycling hot air. If that's all your problem is, then a case fan or two will be very helpful. Start by running with the case open. If you're getting 57C with the case open and the heatsink fan just blowing off into space (you do have a fan on the heatsink, right?) then you've got troubles.

In that case you probably have the heatsink on wrong. Read the directions and follow them very carefully. The Sk6 has to go on exactly as the instructions say. Otherwise it can end up tilted and not making good contact with the core. If that's the case, you should also see that the Artic Silver isn't evenly smushed.

Wait, I just saw that you said AS *adhesive*. Did you really mean that? You shouldn't be using the adhesive version unless you've busted the tabs off your socket.

Anyway, start there, and let us know what happens.

nihili

is case on or off with those temps? I had the same trouble when I had my case on (68*C load for me) and I've added a 120mm fan blowing on the Alpha8045 heatsink which has a 80mm delta (loud as hell) blowing on the hs. I also added rear exast and front intake and now have a 40*C load system. I think the biggest help was that I got the new heatsink and delta but later tonight I might try putting a 35 cfm fan on instead of the delta. Anyways I would recomend a new heatsink if you have the generic one that comes with the retail cpu. If those temps are with your case on try taking it off. If no air can escape your computer will heat up to the same temp as the cpu then just stay there. If you let some of your room air in and computer air out then that wont happen. I hope this helps. If you want I can give you some pics of my cooling setup (not the best setup but it works for me.)

Re: Re: Duron Burning In Hell Need Help

nihili said:

Wait, I just saw that you said AS *adhesive*. Did you really mean that? You shouldn't be using the adhesive version unless you've busted the tabs off your socket.

Anyway, start there, and let us know what happens.

nihili
I'm not that crazy, i guess the word adhesive just came out lol, btw i'm running a stock case.

Re: Re: Re: Duron Burning In Hell Need Help

Gilgamesh said:

I'm not that crazy, i guess the word adhesive just came out lol, btw i'm running a stock case.

stock case doesn't tell us anything. Some stock cases have ducts in them. If you don't know the brand and model, then give a description in terms of size. Mini? Mid? Full Tower? I assume the PSU has a working fan, is it blowing in or out? Is there room in the case for an 80mm fan below the PSU or is the PSU mounted so that it overlaps the mobo a bit?

Whether a Duron is hotter than an XP at the same speed depends on the Duron. Spitfire core Durons are hotter, Morgan core durons should be a touch cooler. Do you know which you have?

nihili

I have a midtower case with generic power supply no case fan, the psu does have a fan but i think is moving like 6cfm. And i'm running now with the case open and have 51 C idle.

if opening your case doesn't drasticly help a high temp like that then your prob is your hsf (i would guess.) You said its not on there with adhesive? Try reseating it and maybe even lapping it if the bottom isn't flat (run a search for lapping if you dont know what this is.) Do you have a camera? Get us some pics of you case if you can ... it will help us help you.

Gilgamesh said:
I have a midtower case with generic power supply no case fan, the psu does have a fan but i think is moving like 6cfm. And i'm running now with the case open and have 51 C idle.

Ok, that's too hot for idle with the side off. Best guess is you've got a problem with the heatsink installation. You have have put it on unevenly, or you may have used to much or not enough ASII. Although that's a really good heatsink, a lot of people have had difficulty installing it.

As a reference point, my Dad has and Sk6 running on an XP1500 with no case fans. His full load temp with the case closed up is in the upper 40s.

Unless you've done a volt mod or have that thing significantly overclocked your temps are a problem.

Hmmm, one other possibility, some mobos read a few degrees off. I don't suppose you have another way to verify the temps do you?

yes if you have no areas in the case made to put fans in you can mod it yourself to get more fans and better airflow through the case. this definitly woulnt hurt. You also coldnt go wrong with a new heatsink.

Cougar522

Cougar522 said:
yes if you have no areas in the case made to put fans in you can mod it yourself to get more fans and better airflow through the case. this definitly woulnt hurt. You also coldnt go wrong with a new heatsink.

Cougar522

He's got an SK6. I know that's not top of the line now, but 6 months ago that was the sink of choice for cooling 1.4 gig Tbirds. His chip is a lot cooler than a 1.4 Tbird. That heatsink should easily cool his chip with lots of room to spare.

Unless ... just had a thought....

What fan do you have on that SK6?

nihili

I used the sk6 before in my XP1800 system mentionned below and i've got 38 idle. Still don't know the problem, probably this weekend i reseat the heatsink and c what happens.

Back