• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm writing my own

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

I'm writing my own Operating System. It's called Pride. I just started so it'll be a while until it comes out (year+). That, and I'm doing it all in Assembly. So, that makes dev that much longer. I'll tell you guys when it's done, but it'll be, like I said about a year until I get a working and useful version done. Just wanted to share that with you :D

Ummm...I guess pretty much for a learning experience and something to do. It's not just writing software or anything. You have to incorporate hardware exceptions and hardware interrupts and handling them and...well the list goes on forever. But, you get my point.

what are some features you plan on impimenting ( sp)

sounds bad@ss
good luck

i would offer to help but i dont know the frist thing about that kinda stuff

let us know when you need testers

What kind of experience do you have? I'd love to do something like that after I get my BS, but I have no idea if I'll know enough to do something like that.
BTW, other than swell your ego, what can you do with an OS with no software?
I'll be happy to test, if you need any testers. I'd love to have a Linux/Pride dual boot system. :D:D:D

Yes, I would love it if you guys could be the testers of Pride.

>> What kind of experience do you have? <<
I'm only 15, so I didn't take a college coarse in assembly or os dev. I just read a lot or resources and asked a lot of questions. The interest in this makes it not so bad. But, it will be a valiant challenge.

>> what can you do with an OS with no software? <<
I'll write a documentation for the written PrideAPI (it'll have to be written by me, of course) and send it out to programmers so they can write some programs. I'll also contribute to that, if not all.

Thanks, fellas! :D

:eek: 15?!?!?:eek:
I'm impressed. If you get it done, I'll be glad to write something for it. In a year I'll be 2/3 through my sophomore year of college (CIS/Bio major).
Good luck.

Thanks, IdeaMagnate! I'll definitely notify you when the time comes to start writing programs for Pride. I appreciate it...

>> Good luck. <<

Thanks! :D

I'm in my second year of a computer science degree if you need help or need some programs i'll be glad to help.
you know how to program C++ at 15?

just tell me you're bill gates' son, i'll give you a few thousand bucks to help finance your OS for 50% share of the company :bday:

Last edited:
Bad H. I think that is awesome. I just hope you can stick to it at 15. Lots of things happen. I did a lot of html and stuff, but hardcore Linux and hardware is much more of an interest to me.

Keep it up, and I'll buy shares in the company!

Garfield said:
I'm writing my own Operating System. It's called Pride. I just started so it'll be a while until it comes out (year+). That, and I'm doing it all in Assembly. So, that makes dev that much longer. I'll tell you guys when it's done, but it'll be, like I said about a year until I get a working and useful version done. Just wanted to share that with you :D

Cool!
I know a bit of C++ but assembly is like Dutch to me.
Will it be Posix complient? Unix/Linux like?

Let me know when its finished, I'd like a copy of that API :D

>> I'm in my second year of a computer science degree if you need help or need some programs i'll be glad to help. <<
Thanks! I'm glad people are already volunteering to help program software for Pride. That'll definitely lighten up the load.

>> you know how to program C++ at 15? <<
I program devoutly in C and assembly, I do program in C++ (I prefer C), I've touched upon Java, I do html, and that's pretty much it.

>> Unix/Linux like? <<
Well, it's not going to have a GUI for the first version (of course), just command-line based. Then, I'll incorporate a GUI. I don't have much of a plan for that yet, but I've got ideas. The GUI is thinking way ahead.

Garfield said:
>> Unix/Linux like? <<
Well, it's not going to have a GUI for the first version (of course), just command-line based. Then, I'll incorporate a GUI. I don't have much of a plan for that yet, but I've got ideas. The GUI is thinking way ahead.

Sounds like Linux to me.

iggybaseball said:
Id always wanted to write my own os. good luck an drop me a copy when ur done

Yeah, definitely. I'll be sure to have it posted when it's done. I'm not sure how long it'll take, but I estimate...a while :D

I would be honored to beta test your OS!!!! I think it's cool thaty you are using your programing skills for good , as opposed to all those who only write new viruses. But anyways, I'm intrigued on different aspects of your OS. Like What sort of file system are you going to create? Will it mimick others such as FAT or NTFS or will it use new ideas!?!? that's just one of the questions i have, but i will spare you from my millions of questions. As soon as you get some beta code done (and i'm sure that will take you a while to do so), i would like to test the OS for you.

AOLIM s/n: Shaun1014
E-MAIL: [email protected]

So keep in touch with me and i'd really enjoy beta testing your software for you.

How much are you going to program yourself? You only really need a kernel as there are many open source things like shells etc that you can use for your OS.

By Linux/Unix like, I meant what will the command line be like? Will it be bash/sh/whatever?

Make sure to plan everything out - Analyse the problem, design a solution and implement it efficiently and correctly.

Well, if he doesn't make it Unix-like, then he won't be able to just hammer out a kernel, throw a bunch of GNU tools at it, and call it a day.

* It would have to be Unix-like to even be able to use those tools.

Back