• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to recover a system file in Win2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dug

One of my system files got infected, specificaly rundll.exe, an I need to recover it. In win98 I would use sfc but in win2k's it seems to be automated and cant tell it is missing. I can't access the microsoft knowledge base, may be it needs to load a 16-bit library. So how can I fix this?

I am not sure this will work in 2K, but you can go to the C:\%systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder, locate the file, and then copy/extract it to where it is supposed to be.

Win2K automatically searches for and replaces essential system files at bootup if they are missing.

If rundll is corrupted, just delete it- it'll come back on next boot.

Are you sure it's part of W2K? I just did a search and the only rundll I have in my W2K partition is rundll32.exe.

maybe it just does not belog? I found it in the \winnt\system32 directory, can someone double check.

It is deleted anyways.

Back