• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7A266

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

James2000

I have put together a system with an ASUS A7A266 board and an XP 1800 processor. The problem is the thing just wont boot.

When switching on the power the system seem to run through the POST but with no video card activity. Also I am getting no beeps from the board to indicate a problem with the graphics card or memory, even removing the memory chip (256 DDR) doesn't result in a beep.

I am thinking that the CPU is a dud but I don't have a spare board to try it on, and any ideas would be welcome,

James

See if the same thing happens with no CPU.
Also, try reseating everything and making sure that nothing's plugged in backwards.

Thanks for the reply,

Have unlpugged everything that isn't vital and went over all the connections about 1 million times (give or take a couple of thousand). When I unplug the CPU it acts in the same manner - the only difference is a very gentle buzzing/clicking noise coming from the board.

Looks like time for an RMA request. Since you've got the weekend before the reseller will respond (unless they're on par with PC Nut), you should try to find a friend who'll let you test the CPU in his computer. If you can't do that, you're pretty safe returning it. I just prefer the "measure twice, cut once" rule.

Ok thanks,
if this doesn't work then the board goes back today for a replacement,

James

One other thing to check , are there any extra standoffs touching your mother board. That will cause that problem.

If this is your first time using the board make sure the jumper for selecting ddr or sdr is set correctly.I know when I had that board last year it came set for sdr and the manual was a misprint for the ddr position.

There are jumpers in the top right hand part of the board that you can set for older socket A chip and Newer socket A chips maybe those will help.

Back