• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game Prices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Anyone here think the price for games is too steep?
I went out to pick up a new game for my rigs and saw Jedi and Global Ops...then I looked at the price, $69.00(canadian$). My desire to play a new game could not compete w/ my wallets need for self preservation. Too bad..I really wanted a new game to play:eh?:
Should the game companies be dropping prices now that they are saving money on packaging?
I think $30 is a fair price for a game..69.00$ is outrageous.

If you wait a few months after release the prices do come down into the $30 range, or less. If you want the game "now" you're stuck paying the price. I'm going to be hard pressed when Unreal 2 is released to wait too long!

Good point Dead...I also have a trick that saves money when you absolutely have to have the latest games pronto! I trade in my old games and that knocks the price down by 15-20$. The last game I traded was Team Arena....I did not need the disk anymore as it is installed on both computers so if one fails I copy contents over to the other. I also got rid of max payne, Sims and a few others that were ageing fast, like Half Life!
But that still does not settle my nerves that games so pricey, I have a fast rig to play the latest games...not some bargin bin has been!!

That's a great idea!

Who takes trade-ins?

The only places I see, like funcoland, cater to Nintendo and Playstation games. I don't think I've ever seen PC games second hand.

Do you have Electronics Boutique in the states? I trade all my games w/ them..there are a couple of other chains but I think they are Canadian. Ask around...make use of your old dust collectors. I got 15$ for the sims and 4$ for System shock...19$ for max payne....4 bucks for team arena..it is kinda sad that you pay top doller when they come out and trade em in for so cheap....but hey, they are collecting dust and that old game is being replaced by a newer and better game..wipe away those tears, say goodbye and clean out the closet(thats where I keep my old games):D

Puer Aeternus ............. be carefull as what u are doing isn't legal .............. u are supposed to delete everything when u sell or give away a game . I don't doubt that many people here may do / have done similar stuff ( warez etc . ) but don't admit it and esp not in these forums . The mods would have a fit .

well I thought about that before Im posted, w/ Q3 you can install the game and patch it to the latest version and no longer need the cd except for back up....so i feel that i paid for the CD key , used it for a year and feel it's okay to share it between my 2 computers. If I sell the actual cd and keep the game installed I do not feel that constitutes "warz".I paid for my CD and if I lose the origional cd or sell it than that is my loss or profit. If the game is ever deleted on both systems than I am at a loss. I helped support the developers by buying the game and traded it for only $4 credit so that I could buy a $60 game to support another quality game.
If any one begs to differ than I will remove this post especially if it goes agains this Forums guidlines.
If the game companies and this forum is against warz then perhaps we should think about reducing the costs of games so that people will not resort to pirate software. This is a place to voice your opinion so that maybe we are heard. I will pay for my games but there are some games that I want and they are too pricey in my opinion..so I dont buy them..if they were cheaper I would be buying more and so would a lot more people. I think 60$ and a 12$ a month to play a game online is absurd. But that is my opinion and I wanted to find out how others felt about that?

Well, I know I'm sure not buying a lot of games anymore - I like the puzzle time games like Myst and Riven, and Journeyman Project, but at 40 - 50+ a pop, I figure it had better be a darned good game! Especially since, unless you have a very poor memory, you can only play these once and have much fun.

Adovbs

most game licenses / EULA don't even allow u to use the game on another system eg in my case where I have 2 comps and a lan ........... they would want me to buy 2 games in order to play mp games in my own home . This is something I am totally against and I think that a home user not holding some massive lan party for profit should be allowed to install on more than one machine .

Importantly the EULA agreements acknowledge that u own the physical cd / dvd but not the software ................. what u buy is the rights to use the software within restrictions............. once sold / given away , u lose the legal right to use the software no mater how much $ u paid or how short a time u had it .

Regardless of one's views on the games or recording industries' habits it is unfortunately the law .................. I strongly resent many of clauses and tricks used by such people to prevent users like me from getting the $ worth out of a product. In fact the lengths that these groups go to to prevent one making a personal backup ( perfectly legal ) border on illegal themselves.

The point is that warez and breaking EULA agreements are illegal and the forum mods and admins have setup a forum which is to be above board and politically correct . I don't think u have to remove ur post ....... i'm not a mod ............. just letting u know where things stand in this forum as far as I know it.

I know I love to get some new games. Finealy got a system that can take um and they are way to much. I would like to be able to get max payne, MOHAA, Jedi Knight, C&C renagade. Thats like $200 in games. Half of what I paid for my system!

Electronic boutique has no restocking fee...

what if u buy the game, beat it and return it? is that illegal? cuz u're just kinda borrowing it :D

i believe that all the computer stores stopped accepting open games for returns, so to return you must have the seal etc..

Not True Coolio..at least in Canada it is not true. I had this argument before from somebody who did not believe that I could ever have possibly returned my copy of tribes 2 for a refund. Electronics boutique in Ottawa has no probs w/ that as long as u r exchanging for another game..now I bought Tribes 2 when it had some bugs and did not work w/ my mobo. So I got frusterated w/ lack of tech support and returned it no probs!
I also trade my games in on a reguler basis so that I can buy new ones. (I trade the games that i no longer use..w/ the exception of Team Arena as I mentioned above)

I'm not sure how to find the article now, but there was an excellent article on Overclockers.com about the price of PC games, and the real causes. Definately worth reading if you are reading this thread. Help anyone? It was a few months back, before Ed's big copyright rant :D

Kid

Oh quit your whining. Games are pretty cheap all told. Look at the retail prices to Office, Adobe Photoshop, or a non-opensource compiler (visual C++). Those are too expensive.

Stolid

Stolid said:
Oh quit your whining. Games are pretty cheap all told. Look at the retail prices to Office, Adobe Photoshop, or a non-opensource compiler (visual C++). Those are too expensive.

Stolid

but ppl can make money back using those...

games is one way...:rolleyes:

So true (about games too expensive). I wanted to buy the new Sims expansion pack (hot dates) but after about 2 weeks the prices were going up ! That's sooo dumb, they put a game on the market for some price (say 39$ CAN) and then it goes up to $44 CAN ! and now, the original sims, which is already an year or 2 old is like 60 $$ CAN !!! that's crazy, as it was $34 before all these new expansion packs !:mad: :temper:

Back