• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Driver problems with Radeon 8500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wa11y

Senior Thread Hijacker
Running 1.4 T-bird, everything stock, windows XP fresh clean install, and a brand new ATI Radeon 8500. I'm trying to play Jedi Knight II Outcast, and it keeps locking up and dropping me out. When I reboot, I get an error message from XP telling me it's a driver issue with my Radeon 8500. The driver I have currently installed is from the file "wxpradeon613106015.exe," which says it's version "6.13.10.6015." These are some older drivers ATI had, but I first installed the drivers from the file "WXP-RADEON-6-13-10-6037-EFG.exe." I would assume these are the 6037 drivers. But I didn't take a look before rolling back.

I also get a lock up running 3DMark2K1, on the truck test (first test) in the high detail mode, less than 10 seconds into it. What could be causing this? I've tried two drivers (I'm about to reinstall the newer drivers and try again), and get the same problem. Just locks up hard.

And yes, I've downloaded all the updates from Microsoft.

I'm running Windows XP Pro, Epox 8KHA+, 1.4T-bird, 512MB PC2100 Crucial, Radeon 8500 Retail. I used to run a GeForce2 MX400 under Windows 98, but since upgrading from Nvidia to ATI, I decided to format and give XP another chance. Been disappointed thus far.

As an update, I went to www.guru3d.com, and downloaded the 6043 beta, and 6052 drivers. Still got lockups with both, running 3dMark2K1. With the 6052 drivers, I was able to get father before locking up (I got into game 4: Nature, which I've never seen before with my Nvidia cards), and then it locked up. After it locks up, it automatically reboots. And it's not a temp problem. I have a digital doc with direct die monitoring, and my video card stays under 40*C.

One other thing, running test one, with the truck, the missiles that you fire tend to flicker in and out, and sometimes there are little....imperfections. I hesitate to call them artifacts, because I don't think they are. Just little blips or glitches.

Is this a bad video card, and should I try to return it for another?

Seems I may have an answer here. May be a problem between my mobo (Epox 8KHA+) and my video card (Radeon 8500). I was able to get it to run all the 3DMark 2K1 benchmarks by underclocking it to 250/275. Yeah, it hurts, but at least it's a quick fix until we find out more.

Back