• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody else tried this copper radiator idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kosmic

I saw the "passive cooling radiator" idea at:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips857/ and thought that it looks like a great way to build a super quiet radiator system.

Has anybody else tried something like this? I was thinking of making three of them with dimensions of 3cm wide, 11cm tall, 13cm long and mounting them to a copper plate via the 3cm by 11cm long edge with 1cm in between them for a 120mm fan to cool them. I've included an image below.

I'm thinking that with all this copper heat buildup could be kept very low so that the fan could be rheostated down to a very, very low noise level. I just don't know if it'll work, plus I don't have any soldering tools, so I'd have to put it all together with JB weld or something.

Anyhow, any suggestions are welcome.

K1

I am using a 24-pass radiator which is a converted compressor coil from a walk-in cooler. Despite its huge size, it really does require active cooling. I personally think that passive cooling isn't worth the effort unless you plan to run default and are going for silence instead of performance.
Also, if you intend to try this, make the investment in soldering. Much more secure means of doing this than JBWeld.

Back