• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bad news

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

I'm down to 1 CPU folding :mad:. My faster comp (P3 900) is and will stay down for quite some time, cuz I can't get any apps to work on it (Windows ME), so I'll have to reformat this POS. The problem is it's gonna take some time, as there are a lot of files to back up (24 GB !), and it cannot connect to the network anymore, so it can't send or receive finished WUs. DAMN !

More than a week, I'm afraid. it's my sister who makes the backups (cuz she uses that comp the most, and most of the stuff to backup is hers), but she's very slow at making them :mad:. it's like she doesn't have any interest at getting that comp up and running correctly again ! so now I'm stuck with only a K6-2 for folding.

minoukat said:
More than a week, I'm afraid. it's my sister who makes the backups (cuz she uses that comp the most, and most of the stuff to backup is hers), but she's very slow at making them :mad:. it's like she doesn't have any interest at getting that comp up and running correctly again ! so now I'm stuck with only a K6-2 for folding.

Could you not do the backups or does she put 10,000 different passwords etc on it :D

24GB...:eek:

Seriously, do you need to back it all up? Programs can be reinstalled? Have you tried installing Me over the top of itself?

David.

it's not programs that need to be backed up, it's downloaded stuff (tv shows, ...) I'll try the install over itself trick, thanks !

minoukat said:
it's not programs that need to be backed up, it's downloaded stuff (tv shows, ...) I'll try the install over itself trick, thanks !

Its not the best idea but *sometimes* works.
24GB sheesh. (still cant beleive that). Try a second HDD and Norton Ghost or drag 'n' drop? Maybe that would work.

minoukat said:
don't have another one :(

:eek:

Hmmm. Thats a problem.

Well, whatever way you manage to fix it, good luck :D

(and replace that awful K6-2 with a Duron :D j/k)

David said:

:eek:

Hmmm. Thats a problem.

Well, whatever way you manage to fix it, good luck :D

(and replace that awful K6-2 with a Duron :D j/k)

I have almost no spare parts, so if something breaks, it stays broken until I can afford somehting new (or that my parents feel bad for us and buy somehting new !):D

minoukat said:

I have almost no spare parts, so if something breaks, it stays broken until I can afford somehting new (or that my parents feel bad for us and buy somehting new !):D

I have some spare parts but just the bare minimum:

Duron650 & HSF (Tbird 1100 just now)
4.3GB HDD (30GB just now)
case fan
14.4k modem (56,6k just now)

If my CPU, HD or modem go I will survive. Just.

it does run, until you actually try to do something ! and it will give you an error message from whatever is currently running (be it an app or a background program or service). at every bootup, it gives errors for everything ("blahblah has cause an error in <unknown>. Blahblah will now shut down"). Every error I get is caused in "<Unknown>", which means it's not an error really, but it still crashes. I tryied reinstalling Windows ME over the current install, but it did nothing. Except that now I get kernel errors ("Kernel32.dll has caused an error in KNL386.EXE...") which crash the box completely !

YEah try to slop ME over top of present ME.. you reallly need to save some bread for a backup hard drive though especially if you have that volume of info ( Trust me i have over 7,000 mp3 files alone and would have lost them if i didnt have a backup drive).. also save that lunch money for a burner for the really important stuff.. until then.. it sounds like a slop reinstall will work for the mean time :).. keep us posted

minoukat said:
it does run, until you actually try to do something ! and it will give you an error message from whatever is currently running (be it an app or a background program or service). at every bootup, it gives errors for everything ("blahblah has cause an error in <unknown>. Blahblah will now shut down"). Every error I get is caused in "<Unknown>", which means it's not an error really, but it still crashes. I tryied reinstalling Windows ME over the current install, but it did nothing. Except that now I get kernel errors ("Kernel32.dll has caused an error in KNL386.EXE...") which crash the box completely !

I saw something a LOT like this when I forgot to re-set the CAS latency on my new RAM. Maybe the CMOS got corrupted ... ?

Try clearing the CMOS.

If that doesn't help, boot with a DOS bootdisk and delete the folder 'Windows'. Reinstall Me.
Its a last ditch attempt, but might work.

edit:
next time you can format/reinstall make the disk into two partitions: one for windows and one for your data. That way if windows dies you can just format its part of the disk and leave your data intact.

ok, got it working by installing Win2k. Guess Windows ME just got f***ed up (it's normal state of function ! :D jk no offense to those who use it).

Walaka7 : I already have a burner, it's a 8x4x32 (in this comp, the one in my COmpaq is a 4x4x24). it's just that 24 gigs are kindda long to burn !:temper: (had to try this smilie !)

Loud : it's an HP computer, so they modified the BIOS so you can't do anything in it. So it couldn't be a memory latency problem or anything else, as I couldn't change any setting.

David : I couldn't reinstall Windows that way, cuz a couple of apps I have wouldn't install anymore (OEMs and need a couple of HP files to isntall).

Well, as long as it works now, and that it continues to fold !

Fold on people !

Back