• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Ryzen PPD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

]-[itman

If interested I am running f@h for stability testing on a new build with an R7 1700 at stock (3.15 GHz all core speed). Here is the result so far of the first WU it has received.

kIOn55V.png

If interested I am running f@h for stability testing on a new build with an R7 1700 at stock (3.15 GHz all core speed). Here is the result so far of the first WU it has received.

kIOn55V.png

Nice, so 4 Ryzen 1700 would net about 400k+, I wonder what the Ryzen server chips will do.

Another result with a different WU project.

005FpdZ.png

Obviously a lower result but that's how it goes with folding. Also keep in mind that this is a 65 W cpu and it stays at 65 W even under F@H stress load. This will be running through the weekend so we'll see how the ppd averages out.

Nice, so 4 Ryzen 1700 would net about 400k+, I wonder what the Ryzen server chips will do.

Ive been out of the F@H game for a while, but if big advanced CPU folding is still a thing the naples core CPUs should be fricking monster. 32C64T per chip, on a 4P thats an absolute beast of computation. 1 System with 256 threads available......

sadly bigadv folding is no more, there are not many projects around for anything more than 24 threads. However this may be starting to change so fingers crossed.

@op - what is the power draw? Also core a4 is much slower than a7, FWIW my pair of x5670's only score 60-70k on core a4 so those results are pretty good.

]-[itman, could you also please tell us what temps do you get on Ryzen 1700 (full load / CPU+GPU at full load), with what cooler, and what ambient temperature?

Another A7 core and back to 103K PPD. CPU stays at 65 C with a "silent" fan profile (it is quiet but not totally silent). Ambient is ~78 F (~26 C) or so. Cooler is just the wraith spire (the one that comes with the cpu). CPU package power is 65 W, right at TDP. This is a workstation for cpu compute only so graphics card is only a GTX 710 so it is not folding. Case is a cheap case with only an exhaust fan at the back of the case.

If there are any specific questions or requests I can try to tackle them tomorrow. I have probably another day with the machine before it gets put to work for real. I wouldn't mind doing short bursts with a mild overclock if interested but Ryzen's efficiency really shines right around the 3 GHz mark. It stays pretty good up to about 3.5 GHz or so but voltage and power start to increase greatly after that.

Update:

I was able to overclock to 3.65 GHz without touching voltages. That is a 14% increase in all core turbo over stock. I don't think it's 100% stable at that speed but enough for a few hours of folding at least. Temps went up to 75 C and the fan became more noticeable but I still wouldn't say loud. Power starts at 85 W but goes up about 7-8 W as the temperature increases. I was also able to get the memory running at 2933 from 2666 XMP profile. Any other questions just let me know. Most likely the computer will start to be used for work tomorrow but I can probably still play with it on weekends.

kIOn55V.png

May you ask you a big favor ? Could you please upload your Risen log files to ppd.fahmm.net and the Writeonly-Dropbox (or PM to this forum or eMail to the mail on the site above).

I have lots of GTX and Intel high end CPUs but lack of AMD variety and for sure Ryzen.

Would really appreciate.

Thank you
Christian

May you ask you a big favor ? Could you please upload your Risen log files to ppd.fahmm.net and the Writeonly-Dropbox (or PM to this forum or eMail to the mail on the site above).

I have lots of GTX and Intel high end CPUs but lack of AMD variety and for sure Ryzen.

Would really appreciate.

Thank you
Christian

Christian, I can help as well if you'd like. Running on my GPU and CPU (12 threads) as set in my sig. Shoot me a PM of what you need and how you want me to get it to you.

-Jason

Hey guys,

For some additional comparisons, I wanted to show you what's happening on the system I'm "burning in."
Each compute node is running two Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4's @2.2GHz. Each chip has 12 cores with hyperthreading accounting for 24threads, for a total of 48 threads on each box.
The result is about an average of 480,000 PPD on CPU folding.

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 2.35.15 PM.png

I'm anticipating that a single AMD Zen server chip (Naples) would at least match --AND SHOULD BEAT-- this (being 64 threads!!, and if Ryzen's performance is any indication...) To say nothing of dual or quad socket configurations!
I'm pushing hard to get some Naples equipment in for newer systems, but it'll depend all on whether or not HPE will actually have boxes ready in the 2nd quarter here as soon as AMD releases the chip.

Still not as impressive as GPU folding, but nevertheless, I'm very, very excited about these newer processors.

Cheers!

-Kirk

P.S. I've already had some equipment failure during the burn in. This is why I do these. Haha!

That's damned impressive, 490k from a pair of 12 cores is right where bigadv used to be. Whats availaibility of WU like for the 48 thread machine? I may have to start digging my ivy based xeons out of retirement

Christian, I can help as well if you'd like. Running on my GPU and CPU (12 threads) as set in my sig. Shoot me a PM of what you need and how you want me to get it to you.

-Jason
Hi Bluefalcon
That would be great ... the easiest way right now is to upload the log files from FAH to a write-only Dropbox; no one else can see your files (except me). Passkey is safe as not included in logs. Also older logs from the logs-folder are good. If you don't like Dropbox you just can zip them and send to support @ fahmm . net

Last edited:
Hey guys,

For some additional comparisons, I wanted to show you what's happening on the system I'm "burning in."
Each compute node is running two Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4's @2.2GHz. Each chip has 12 cores with hyperthreading accounting for 24threads, for a total of 48 threads on each box.
The result is about an average of 480,000 PPD on CPU folding
!

Hello Kirk, same question to you: mind sharing your log files or some of them ... always looking for nice hardware to be added to my PPD database. All is needed is to upload th log files to a dropbox referred on PPD.fahmm.net

TIA

That's damned impressive, 490k from a pair of 12 cores is right where bigadv used to be. Whats availaibility of WU like for the 48 thread machine? I may have to start digging my ivy based xeons out of retirement

Nathan,

Well, this "burn-in" is about 3 weeks old now and I've had other systems going for a few weeks prior to that using 48 cores. So, availability at the moment is pretty plentiful (something like 2 months now). They all A7 core jobs. Not sure what's needed (if anything) on the windows side to ensure their completion, but I know on the linux side, you're looking at needing a distro that's been released within the last 3 years or so (RedHat 7, Ubuntu 14 fully updated, Fedora 22, etc.) because of certain libraries the core requires.

ChristianFAH said:
Hello Kirk, same question to you: mind sharing your log files or some of them ... always looking for nice hardware to be added to my PPD database. All is needed is to upload th log files to a dropbox referred on PPD.fahmm.net

Sure thing. I'll grab some logs when I'm at work tomorrow.

-Kirk

Would really appreciate.

Thank you
Christian

I can do this for you but will have to wait for the weekend, machine is in production mode now. Do you want overclocked or stock results?

So you don't want to run 15 threads on the Ryzen CPU when folding on the GPU. Think the GPU thread is getting stuck on SMT :/

12 threads GPU utilization:
Screenshot_20170405-183729.png
15 threads GPU utilization:
Screenshot_20170405-194328.png

Much more GPU downtime...

Back