• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T-Bird or Mustang?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
Ok, seeing as I've always had Intels because, well, I just had a bunch of intel MB's to use up. I didn't want them to completely go to waste, so instead of spending hundereds of dollars on a new platform, i just decided to use up what I had. Well, that's over and done with and I need a new (another) system. My friend is selling two Athlons, a 1200 and 1200/266. He's given me dibs on the CPU's before he sells them to anyone else, so I figured it would be a great opportunity to venture into the AMD side of things. I was wondering which would be the better choice. I'm leaning towards the regular 1200 right now seeing as the 100Mhz bus would give me more headroom when I set the PCI divider. I don't want to unlock whichever one I get at first, until I've got it at a stable temp. But, I'm new to the AMD game, so any input on helping me decide would be really appreciated.

Well, go for the 266 one because it will be the faster overall system of the all...and it comes factory unlocked! Also, make sure you get a good heatsink (check ratings on the front). If you dont want to spend too much on a mobo get a shuttle ak31 rev 3.1, but if you want to get the latest, go for the epox Kt333 board and some kingmax 2700 RAM. Good luck and welcome to the dark side :D:cool:

I agree with Rezman. With the 266 chip, you'll have a faster system to start off with. If you get the 200, you'll have to increase the fsb to 133 to get equal system performance. Of course you cpu will be running faster, but you can increase the multi of the 266 to get it running faster. The headroom idea is a good one, but with the multi unlocked, that doesn't really hold true. You will be able to get a higher fsb with a cpu at the same speed or more becuase of the multiplier. The 266 is just going to give you better system performance. If he'll let you, check the steppings and find out which one's better, that might be a factor in your purchase as well.

I'll get the 266 too because the 200 is almost like a duron morgan core, and the morgan core is even better because they run cooler than those t-birds

Errr.. I fourth the 266 chip. It's like a newer stepping, better overclocking, although those Tbird produce alot of heat. Be sure to get a good heatsink. Also the Epox 8KHA+ go very cheap right now, unless you want the Epox 8K3A.

Thanks guys! Now off to the MB section... (I get deals on Asus, MSI, and Aopen"yuck"), need to figure that out next But I'll post it in the proper topic.

Back