• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange MS Word Problim

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheEvil1

Registered
ok im havin this strange problim with word. i just reformatted and einstalled everything. runnin Win 2k pro. i installed office 2k then norton 2k2. the problim occurs when i try and open a word file. hppens for both saved ones and new ones. i get a norton error saying that the file is still infected yet norton detects nothing with the system scan. i posted this over at anand also you can check it out here

the error message causes no problims. it asks me if i want to delete the file and i hit no and it works fine. its just really annoying.

I recently discovered i get a similar error vieewing some webpages and teh error points to some cab file. wnyone out there know what is happenn and hot to fix it.,

I read your previous posts and it's really weird. Anyway what virus does it say it's infected with? That might give you a clue.

Second the file I saw in the path you gave is normal.dot. That file is Word's main template file. When Norton asks just delete the file. I believe you can recreate another template file yourself or let Word create another one for you in that same directory.

Hope that helps!

norton dosent say what virus it just says its infected. i copied the message exactly.

i tried to delet the file then i get a message saying it cant delete the file and instead of giving teh path it gives a square box in guotes. really strange

same things happens in explorer every now and then on certin web pager it will sat some temp file is bad and i can delete it but it deletes. and then the page dosent load right.

really dont want to do another reinstall of windows

I really don't think it'd be a Windows problem but stranger things have happened. It sounds more like a Norton thing. Try uninstalling Norton and letting your machine run without it for a short time. Install the patches and updates for W2K and Word that you need. Then see how your machine runs. If it looks ok put Norton back on and see how it acts. You'll know if it's Norton acting goofy or not.

Also try some other cheapo anti-virus progaram to check your machine with. Escorcher.com is a pretty good one.

Back