• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting an 8500....FINALLY!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingslayer

Ok. I'm making the dive to the 8500. I wanted to get the Gigabyte but that ugly red card just does nothing for me. So I'm just going to get the normal boring Retail 8500.

Any tips?

I figure this way I'll know what card I have as everytime ATI puts out a driver they forget about the 64DDR VIVO Radeon or identifying it properly in the drivers.

tips

Cool that card! I heard even the memory gets pretty hot. You'd need 8 ramsinks. Try the newest drivers. Join the overclockers 3dmark team and OC away!

Kingslayer said:
Ok. I'm making the dive to the 8500. I wanted to get the Gigabyte but that ugly red card just does nothing for me. So I'm just going to get the normal boring Retail 8500.

Any tips?

I figure this way I'll know what card I have as everytime ATI puts out a driver they forget about the 64DDR VIVO Radeon or identifying it properly in the drivers.

Make sure your card is BUILT BY ATI NOT powered by Ati

ATI drivers have come a long way and you will like the card.

Yeah I'm getting the ATI retail 8500. I'm sure the GigaByte card is great and there is another manufaturer out there that has the 128Meg version for about $180 but it's too soon in my opinion to start rushing out and buying third party cards. Give them some time and they'll be up to par with ATI.

I've got a Blue Orb and a Thermaltake memory cooling kit coming to make the ram sinks and everything. Are the ATI GPU HSF's still easy to take off?

Kingslayer said:
Yeah I'm getting the ATI retail 8500. I'm sure the GigaByte card is great and there is another manufaturer out there that has the 128Meg version for about $180 but it's too soon in my opinion to start rushing out and buying third party cards. Give them some time and they'll be up to par with ATI.

I've got a Blue Orb and a Thermaltake memory cooling kit coming to make the ram sinks and everything. Are the ATI GPU HSF's still easy to take off?

Ya have to freeze the card in the freezer w/ an anti-static bag, then you can twist it off. Their like epoxied onto the GPU I believe. I'm not 100% clear on this though.

i still like my geforce 3 thank u. besides 3dmark, it doesnt drastically outperform it in any games. although retail ones are very nice. i have a feeling R300 and geforce5 are ginna be real nice. im waiting 4 one of those. good deal tho Kingslayer
-Malakai

Gigabyte cards in the last few reviews are on par or beating ATI's cards at same clock speeds.. Gigabyte has put together a real nice package..

GravY said:
Gigabyte cards in the last few reviews are on par or beating ATI's cards at same clock speeds.. Gigabyte has put together a real nice package..

Yeah but costly.... price is much easier to swallow on the Retail ATI.

you can grab an LE version which look to over clock real well with the utility they supply, the card is built great, utility even keeps track of mem and core temps.... Newegg.com has it for 148.00..

Malakai said:
i still like my geforce 3 thank u. besides 3dmark, it doesnt drastically outperform it in any games. although retail ones are very nice. i have a feeling R300 and geforce5 are ginna be real nice. im waiting 4 one of those. good deal tho Kingslayer
-Malakai

this is probably because the 8500 was made to compete with the geforce3s....though the Geforce3s are twice as expensive for the performance you get (except the Ti200 which is also a GREAT deal).....

GravY said:
you can grab an LE version which look to over clock real well with the utility they supply, the card is built great, utility even keeps track of mem and core temps.... Newegg.com has it for 148.00..

Are they clocked at 250? And if they are don't you think you would get better ocing with the Retail?

The Gigabyte is a 250/250.. might be 250/275, I don't have the time to recheck right now.. sorry..
but for the money to get an LE you can just overclock to retail speeds and save a few dollars.. if you then want to go further and do a volt mod, your card will probably go beyond..

1: BUY A RETAIL, its only $150 and worth it.

2: They DON'T GET HOT, unless you go over 300/600.

3: After freezing the card, put a credit card on the PCB (nearest to the AGP slot) then pry it off with a knife.

4: Good Luck with your Card, and get a Retail so no disapointments will be had.

M_N

Back