• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU,NC,HD,GPU Waterblocks... too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Istari1

Basically its getting time for me to setup my watercooling system and I am wondering how many waterblocks I can reasonablly have inline on one system. I would love to cool all my needs, besides CPU I am looking at the NB and my GF3 Ti500. Not to mention my 2 HD's in RAId 0. I have a 500 GPH pump/res and a good heatercore with alot of airflow through it. But somehow I doubt I will be able to cool all these with it. I have sen Koolance systems and they claim this is possible with their system, but what do you guys think? Seems pretty unbelievable to me. I'm not only looking for a better overclock, but also just a really quiet computer. Cooling all these devices would pretty much eliminate any fans I have in may case (except PSU of course). Thanks for any input all.

Josh

The more important thing for your HDDs is for them to be at a stable temperature rather than a particularly low temperature. If you couple them to the GPU and CPU cooling they will get warmer during gaming activity. This would be bad because although modern disks have good thermal recallibration, there are still mechanical effects that may mean that data written at "hot" and "cold" sides of the normal temperature may be unreliable. IF you have a very high capacity system that was capable of cooling below ambient for example, that you were determined to cool your drives with, then it would be wise to reformat them at operating temperature.

Removing the GPU, CPU and Northbridge heat fromt he case by watercooling, would however allow for a more stable, lower, case temperature at all levels of activity, so simple improved airflow around the drives would probably be the best plan.

Plus if you play games online, directly coupleing the hdd cooling to everything else may me you get frequent half sec freeze ups due to the thermal recallibration seeks that would be particularly annoying in multiplayer.

my 2c

Road Warrior

Damn, very good points RW. I hadnt even thought about the thermal recalabration in HDs (have heard of it, but cant say I know much of anything about it). Well I already have a nice 80mm fan cooling them both (and without it they are hot to the touch..with it they feel very cool) so I'd say it does a fine job of cooling them. Do you think the other components (NB, CPU, GPU) will be tto much heat for my system though? I have never even heard how many watts a NB even produces..but I know my GF3 and my XP are not lightweights.

Josh

Back