• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 7+ on P4 boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StilgarRS

Registered
Hi, i just got a Volcano 7+ to cool my overclocked northwood (There is only on shop in germany which has it). I put arctic silver on the cpu, installed the cooler, and then removed it, to see, if there was contact between the base and the cpu, and, ups, no arctic silver on the base, so no contact. I had to use a very thick layer of the artic silver to make contact, and now the results of the cooler are not very good. I searched this forum for help, found something, but this didn't help. These white plastic pins at the retention module are not the problem. ANYONE KNOWS A SOLUTION??? I don't want to buy the swiftech, because it's to expensive.

You have to be more specific. What temperatures are you getting first of all? Sounds to be as if your not adjusting the screws right to make contact with the HSF and the core, so check that out. Recheck that, and consider lapping your heatsink.

There are no screws to install it, it just clips into the retention modul. Now, at 2.5 ghz, under full load i reach 55° C, idle around 48°C.

Hi,

I had the same cooler + Mainboard combination and it didn't work for me either. I think the cooler is not worth buying.
I didn't find a solution for it. The Intel stock cooler performs better
than the Volcano 7+.

( I bought mine at pc-cooling.de)

cu

Sam

Cooler666 said:
quite high temperatures, maybe apply a little more arctic silver to get better contact

Hey this is not very good advise. Everyone that knows anything about Artic Silver knows that the less you use the better. Come on.

Anyway to get back on the subject. Someone on this forum had mentioned that he had to rotate the heatsink 180degrees to get it to work. Maybe itll work for you. Didnt work for me and others, but its worth a try.

Last edited:
One more thing, on a personal note, I agree with Samcook(about Thermaltake is not worth buying. If this product would work like it is supposed to it would out perform the stock heatsing by a long shot). I will never buy anything from Thermaltake again. I contacted them to tell them not only of the troubles I had but several others had been experiencing. They took over two weeks to get back to me. Then told me after "testing" they found no problems. This happened to too many people for it just to be a coincidence.

My suggestion to you is go buy the Thermalright AX478. It is the best cooler on the market, check the heatsink review on the front page, and you can pick one up for about 25bucks, get you a 9dollar fan and your off and running.

Again try to rotate it, if that doesnt work, I suggest the AX478.

Back