• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CPU or New Video card? Which is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Geobronc

Time to upgrade a little to get more frame rates for some games that I Play. Which will help frame rates more... a new Geforce 4 4200 or a new AMD 2100XP?

See my signature for what I have now....

Owwww...

That's a close call there.
GF3...hmmm those clock speeds ae close to what the 4200 is @stock :eek:

Actually, I'd save for a DDR mobo & Memory.

I have a A7V266-E sitting here; I put a Duron600 @950x100 in.....OMG! what a diff the mobo made!
Even @ 950x100 ! And thast was with a GF2MX!!!

You're running 1.5+GHZ...good range.
GF3 @ a nice clock speed.
Go for a DDR mobo. about $120.oo + memory.
GF4 or DDR? DDR!!!!!!!

Good Luck.
:cool:

I agree with WarriorII. I'd buy a new DDR board. I could'nt believe the difference in speed when I went from a PIII system @ 1000mhz running PC133 Ram, to a 1200 mhz AMD system with DDR. And this was with an Ali Majic chipset (Asus A7A 266) which pretty much suck's. My boot time alone was almost cutt in half. Game's load MUCH faster and run much smoother. This was with a V5 5500 at the time to. I'd sell you current Board and ram and buy a DDR board and memory. I'm pretty happy with my Shuttle AK35GTR. I'd just keep your current CPU for now as well.

bdf24 said:
I agree with WarriorII. I'd buy a new DDR board. I could'nt believe the difference in speed when I went from a PIII system @ 1000mhz running PC133 Ram, to a 1200 mhz AMD system with DDR. And this was with an Ali Majic chipset (Asus A7A 266) which pretty much suck's. My boot time alone was almost cutt in half. Game's load MUCH faster and run much smoother. This was with a V5 5500 at the time to. I'd sell you current Board and ram and buy a DDR board and memory. I'm pretty happy with my Shuttle AK35GTR. I'd just keep your current CPU for now as well.

Oh heck... I still can't get over the performance increase going from an MSI K7T turbo with sdram to an 8kha+ with ddr... my 3dmark score went up 1300 points... mem benchmarks have more than doubled... all these gains from the same 1600+ and a 4 mhz increase in FSB... wow... go with the new mobo and ram... you won't regret it.

Hmmmm, I never expected those answers. Will I have to reformat my Harddrive? I am using a Via chipset on a Asus A7V133 (KT133) motherboard. What would you suggest I upgrade to? A Soyo Dragon? or??

originaly post by geobronc
Hmmmm, I never expected those answers. Will I have to reformat my Harddrive? I am using a Via chipset on a Asus A7V133 (KT133) motherboard. What would you suggest I upgrade to? A Soyo Dragon? or??

i suggest you upgrade into the DDR mobo you can choose the epox8k3a+,abitKr7a,or you can chosse the Shuttle AK35GTR Ver2.2 KT 333Board

Geobronc said:
Most likely you will. I alway's reinstall after a motherboard upgrade. Just to ensure I get the best performance.

Back