• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this HSF to heavy to be mounted on a GeForce 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

I just got a low profile HSF that I had planned on putting on my precious GeForce4 Ti4600 so I can overclock the mess out of it, but after feeling the weight I'm afraid that it might be too much weight for my card to handle.

The HSF is shown here

Go to "Tiny Chip" from the links on the left of the webpages and scroll down to the bottom and you will see a CoolJag 1U Cooler.

It is the CoolJag-FAN. I am planning on using Arctic Alumina to get this bad boy on my graphics card so what ever I do will be permanent. I am worried that the weight of this HSF will either snap the PCB or will tear the CPU right out of the soder points. Its an all copper low profile HSF if you check out the picture and is quite a bit heavier than my Crystal Orb that I have cooling GeForce 3. Does anybody have any experience with this HSF on their graphics card or some other similar setup? Should I place it on my G4 or should I just get some AS3 and use the HSF that came with my card? Thanks for your help. here

For those wanting to mount a U1 cooler on a geforce based card just line the cooler onto the vcard then using a marker/pencil mark the holes through the back of the card (you could even use the extra holes some cards have..mine has 4). Now just drill these holes out and use small headed screws with plastic nuts on the back to mount the U1 cooler. (Of course AS between the cooler and GPU). This is how I mounted my modified Corb with another fan on the backside of the card (sorry I dont have a digital camera to take pics) This should also take care of any weight consideriations.

Josh

Also forgot to mention, you can use springs on the bolts if you want, but I have found there is really no need. You dont have to worry about crushing the GeForce chip, it doesnt have a "soft" core like a CPU and its casing is pretty hard. Just tighten the nuts on the back by hand until they are snug and you should be OK.

Josh

Thanks for your replies, Istari1, I am kind of weary about modding stuff, that's why I bought one of those pre-modded cases, but I will keep your suggestion in mind. Taking a look at the HSF though, it looks like its going to be difficult to do.

Silversinksam, how do you have your 1U cooler affixed to your GPU. Are you using strictly epoxy or have did you make a retention mechanism? How heavy is your Alpha 1U cooler and can you give me a comparission to the weight of a crystal orb? Thanks again.

I just did the same thing but I used a Alpha 1U cooler which is heavier than the one you showed.. I used artic silver adhesive.. you should have no probs.. no need to drill anything..

Overclocker456 said:
I just did the same thing but I used a Alpha 1U cooler which is heavier than the one you showed.. I used artic silver adhesive.. you should have no probs.. no need to drill anything..

? No offense but I dont see why you all want to permanently bond these things to your chips. . . What if you do it wrong and end up with some big air pocket. . .or you decide one day you want to watercool it? Srug, I dont know..I wouldnt bond anything you didnt have to, but I guess everyone has their own ways. Good luck.

Josh

Overclocker456 said:

Actually Overclocker456, I just checked Alpha's website and Cooljag's website, and the Alpha 1U HSF with fan is 120g while the Cooljag is 216g.

Back