• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need CPU fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DigVideoGuy

Registered
I just bought the P4 1.6 northwood chip and i plan to overclock it to about 2ghz. i origianlly planned to by the volcano 7+ but i see alot of people have been having problems with contact on this unit- i have about $40 to spend. PLEASE HELP!!

Defnitely don't go with the Volcano 7+ I am an Athlon man myself, but I hear that the "Alpha Novatech PAL 8942" is a very good P4 air cooler. ALSO, be sure to go to the main page and click on "heat sink reviews and ratings" for other options.

K1

Kosmic1 said:
Defnitely don't go with the Volcano 7+ I am an Athlon man myself, but I hear that the "Alpha Novatech PAL 8942" is a very good P4 air cooler. ALSO, be sure to go to the main page and click on "heat sink reviews and ratings" for other options.

K1

Ill second that, swifties are nice too...

out of curiousity how is the alpha PAL 8942t- i was looking at that - one site has it for $42 - or do i have to pay the extry 25 and get the swifty??- to be honest i'm looking for the ability of the swifty but around the price of the volcano 7+
-Is this a reality or am i dreaming??

sorry, but this isn't a reply to your post but a question that i thought of when reading your post...that's a very high o/c...are you going to air cool your machine??? and if you are, wouldn't water-cooling be a better bet for you??? just my two...oh, i guess i can add...a delta would be a good fan...if you can take the noise...i'm about to put switch out my 4 case fans and swap them with delta's...what??? what??? i can't hear you!!!

My roommate- "CyberFed"- you have problelbly seen him on here- he is addicted- anyway he overclocked his 1.6a to 2.08 with not even a change in cpu temp- granted he is useing a swifty and not running a side of his case- but as of yet no case fans- since we are getting the same mobo and chip i figured on the same results

Arcane said:
sorry, but this isn't a reply to your post but a question that i thought of when reading your post...that's a very high o/c...are you going to air cool your machine??? and if you are, wouldn't water-cooling be a better bet for you??? just my two...oh, i guess i can add...a delta would be a good fan...if you can take the noise...i'm about to put switch out my 4 case fans and swap them with delta's...what??? what??? i can't hear you!!!

Hehe, gotta love those deltas. I feel I should buy one (never have) just so I can really relate to all those who have. Anyway, 2.0 Ghz from a 1.6A is nothing really. People have cracked 2.3-2.4 with aircooling on these chips. With the Alpha or Swiftech model (80mm) fan you could do ~2.0 Ghz with very little noise I am sure. Shrug, I've always been an Athlon man mysekf, but I feel I should really get an Intel system jjust to play with (cause I wouldnt get upset if I fried it...hehe)

Josh

Get the Alpha or the Swiftech.

The alpha using a much quieter fan with less CFM's but is almost as good as the Swiftech with a 80CFM Delta. Also, The Swiftech with the same 80CFM Delta out performs the Alpha by .5C and .01C/W. With the 50CFM Suron the Alpha out performs the Swiftech with the same 50CFM Suron. And remember the 80CFM is LOUD, very loud.

Check out this post it might help.... http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79590 ,

but the Alpha or the Swifty is the way to go, anything else is just wasting your money. Best Bang for you buck would defenitly be the Alpha with the 50CFM suron. And it is more than ample for your 1.6 to be running at 2.0-2.6.

BTW, 2.0 is not to high to use a air cooler, you could get into the 2.4 range before I worried about water. The Northwood is a very cool running processor.

Istari1 said:

Hehe, gotta love those deltas. I feel I should buy one (never have) just so I can really relate to all those who have. Anyway, 2.0 Ghz from a 1.6A is nothing really. People have cracked 2.3-2.4 with aircooling on these chips. With the Alpha or Swiftech model (80mm) fan you could do ~2.0 Ghz with very little noise I am sure. Shrug, I've always been an Athlon man mysekf, but I feel I should really get an Intel system jjust to play with (cause I wouldnt get upset if I fried it...hehe)

Josh

2.3-2.4!!! to me that's awfully high...my cpu craps out @ 1.53 when i loop 3dmark and have prime95 simultaneously...as for the delta's i like them a lot...although, the 4 delta's as a case fan idea lasted for about 10 mins...i took them out when i went outside my apartment and could still hear them...:eek:

Arcane said:

2.3-2.4!!! to me that's awfully high...my cpu craps out @ 1.53 when i loop 3dmark and have prime95 simultaneously...as for the delta's i like them a lot...although, the 4 delta's as a case fan idea lasted for about 10 mins...i took them out when i went outside my apartment and could still hear them...:eek:

LOL....... Undesimated the pure geforce of a Delta huh? Not a good thing to do....... That had to be one loud a** machine. Did your neighbors think you added a heli-pad?

Back