• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quake 3 question....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IcarusFalling

Disabled
Ok so here's the problem I'm having.
I'm always seeing websites and magazines giving bench marks using Q3A.
I know it's a command line in the console. I just can't seem to dig up what the command is.

Also, can I do this with just the demo version or do I have to buy the full version?

Assuming you've loaded the 1.27G and 1.27H patches, you can run Reverends 010101 demo from the console as you mentioned. I will try to attach the demo file here.

You need to do the following:

1) Go to the "Quake 3 Arena", "Baseq3" folder and create a "Demos" folder if one does not already exist.

2) Place the file attachement here in the "Demos" folder.

3) Start Q3 at the desired settings and use the tilda key "~" to bring down the console

4) Type "timedemo 1" and press enter

5) Type "demo 010101" and press enter

The demo will load and run at double speed and test the overall frame rate. Once the demo is complete, press the tilda key again to bring down the console and the last line will show the average framerate. Hope this helps...good luck.

I tried following those instructions, and I get an error, which is fatal for the program:
"FS_FOpenFileRead: NULL 'file' parameter passed"
What is causing this, and is there anyway to find my average FPS? Thanks!

Ramza500 said:
I tried following those instructions, and I get an error, which is fatal for the program:
"FS_FOpenFileRead: NULL 'file' parameter passed"
What is causing this, and is there anyway to find my average FPS? Thanks!

Dumb question, but did you remove the demo file from the winzip folder or did you move the entire winzip attachement into your demo's folder?

LoL, nah, I unzipped, put in demo file and pasted in, typed the command correctly, several times...I had to reinstall quake 3, so the game itself works now. Thanks!

Back