• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Auto Scanning on StartUp ? : WinXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

linkiat

Registered
My WinXP system does auto scandisk upon startup everytime. Is there a way to disable it? Previously it was running okay. But now, I can't seem to bypass it. Norton DiskDoctor scan checks out okay, so does the scan disk all the time. No errors found after scanning...

:(

The only thing I can suggest is this...

Under the following key in the Registry, make sure the "BootExecute" Value Name has a Value Data of...autocheck autochk*

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | Session Manager

...The binary "Value Name" in the RH pane will be "BootExecute" (without the quotes). Right-click the "BootExecute" binary name and select "Modify" (if the value is something other than...autocheck autochk*) and type in the correct value as I've shown it below.

Under the "Value" tab, it should look like this...

autocheck autochk*

Reboot for the change to take effect, and see if chkdsk still runs automatically...after modifying the above value.;)

It may be from the overclocking.It is likely data is getting corrupted at the FSB you are using.

thanks I'll check.

anyway can't be due to overclocking since I've overclocked the system for a long time and it doesn't auto scan by itself until recently.

I'm not real familiar with WinXP, but the previous versions of Windows would do a scandisk at startup when the system was not shutdown properly. I assume that WinXP behaves the same way. Is it possible that the system is hanging up during shutdown?

One other thing that you could do to avoid the scandisk would be to convert from FAT32 to NTFS. The NTFS filesystem eliminates the problems that make running scandisk necessary.

I am runnning on WinXP, NTFS system. And the PC shuts properly.

Anyhow, I removed the autocheckdisk from the bootexecute and it doesn't scan now. =)

HAH! search and ye shal find.
unfortunately while i do have the same scenario that reg key is already set as it should be.
trying to run any other scandisk prog gives me a 'windows is accessing something on this drive" error (or similar message).
this drive is almost pure storage with only 4 games installed on it and no other installed progs. at one point 2-3 Win installs ago it did have a swap file on it, tho i can find no trace of it now.
(scandisk is only trying to check E:\ at boot)

Back