• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intake fans or outtake fans - Case cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

Which is more important do you think, having more outtake to suck heat away or more intake to draw the cold air in?

I know I'd have to strike a happy balance and airflow plays into it, but if I could add only one fan what would you say?

--Illah

Intake directly to the cpu is the most important, IMO. My generic case had a side intake hole already cut, so I cut the insides out of an old fan and used that as a frame for a flexible dryer duct to connect the HSF to the hole on the side. Good temperature difference without the extra noise of running an extra 80mm fan on the side.

As long as you have good intake directly to the CPU and an extra exhaust fan on the back, you should be doing pretty well...As long as you have air conditioning in your house for summer time. :)

K1

I belive, not for sure thought, that you should have a little more intake than discharge. Also try to position one of your intakes close to your CPU this will help alot with cooling, unless you have a heatsink like the Alpha witch is designed to move air away from the CPU. Then I think it would defeat the purpose.

Back