• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

homemade GPU waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monaco

hi all,

I built myself a new waterblock for my video card, and Joe is so cool he put it up on the front page:
www.overclockers.com/tips916/ . Please take a look as pictures are worth at least 3 or 4 words. Maybe a thousand.:)

The basic idea behind this block is as such: drill a hole all the way thru the base of your waterblock, right through the CPU contact area. Then, flush mount a copper screw or pin in that hole, and complete the waterblock.

The hope is that the screw will conduct heat directly from the CPU to the water, with no junction in between. My thinking is that the screw provides a much more direct path for heat transfer than just digging channels in a copper chunk, like most 'blocks seem to be.

It turned out to work well on a vid card and my 300A, so does anybody have any comments or suggestions about how I would go about improving this for a full-time CPU waterblock? Does the overall 'screw-thru' design seem solid? Any suggestions welcomed!

you read my mind man, it's already in progress:)

any thoughts on the overall design? looking for ways to improve it as much as I can, keeping the screw-in-the-hole idea intact. It came to me in a flash, i think it might be a good alternative to spiral- or channel- based blocks. Easier to make, too.

I def. like this idea. I've been looking for a good NB block that wont eat away all my flow rate, cause these ones with channels have such tiny channels I figure a simple resovoir type block like this will have as much flow as size of barbs I use..great idea.

Josh

Back