• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing The AX - 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaiser_Sose

Registered
I must be one stoopid mofo but I cant see where to screw on the Delta 'SHE' fan on the HS. This is my first attempt installing a 2 piece HSF

I bought them both from Newegg, it came with no instruction

There is no screw holes on the top of the HS for any size screw. Ths HS came with 4 long screws while the fan came with 4 small ones

Uhg

Last edited:
the four small ones aren't for the ax7

the ax7 has four long screws, you want to put the screws through the fan, then put the rubber grommets on, then set the fan down on the sink. the screws screw in between the outer two sinks.

Okie Dokie

I just want to be sure ... the rubber washers go between the fan and HS or underneath the HS

One more thing

I fot it assmebled already but I want to make sure the fan is blowing onto the HS .... I can see the Delta model number on top, does that mean it blowing onto the HS

The reason I am asking is because when I powered it up and put my hand over it I felt lots of air

nope, the label on the delta should be aimed towards the heatsink.

there should be little arrows on the side of the fan somewhere that show the direction of the air.

Right now I can see the top where it says 'SHE' in the model number. I was thinking it went this way because with this side up there is a fan gaurd ... the other way there is no fan gaurd covering the blades

Actually, those aren't fan guards, they are vanes that correct the air flow coming from the fan blades to maximize the effectiveness of the fan's air flow. Welcome to Deltaville, where cpu temperatures are low and decibles are insanely high. :D

K1

Or as Hoot put it SO much better in another post:

The 80mm Delta Focused Flow fans have merits beyond their speed. The static de-spiraling vanes in them produce an air flow that drives down into a resistive media like fins better than a fan that does not have them. If you take the 68cfm model and slow it down to 40, 47, or 50cfm like the ones above, the noise is not nearly as objectionable, yet it still benefits from those vanes. Putting a rheostat on it allows you to tune the speed for the best compromise between loudness and cooling effectiveness. When you're just surfing the web, reading emails, etc, you can turn it down significantly. When you are cranking on a 3D game or other taxing application, you turn it up to suit your needs.

Hoot

There's the word from the man who *really* knows what he's talking about.

K1

Can you guys tell me how I can go about cleaning the slug of the CPU after I take off the current HS for preperation of applying AS 3

The AX - 7 with the Delta has a 3 pin connector. [black, red, blue] and I was told not to put this into the fan header of the board [K7S5A] but to connect it to a molex connector instead. I can do this but can someone tell me how I can set it up so I can get the tachometer reading while the fan connected to the molex

Kaiser_Sose said:
The AX - 7 with the Delta has a 3 pin connector. [black, red, blue] and I was told not to put this into the fan header of the board [K7S5A] but to connect it to a molex connector instead. I can do this but can someone tell me how I can set it up so I can get the tachometer reading while the fan connected to the molex
www.sidewindercomputers.com

I think they sell a 3-4 pin adapter that still lets you read the RPM.

Basically, it sends the RPM wire to another 3-pin plug and sends the hot and ground wires to the molex. You can plug the single-wire plug into the mobo to read RPM.

I've got the same mobo myself and have a Delta "Black Label" hooked up to the CPU fan header and a Sunon 120mm fan hooked up to the other fan header and have had no problems! The RPM's show up no problem. If you want to go the safer way (considered by some better, but most of us are OC'ers!?!) I would go with Crazy Jayhawk.
The way I have it setup, is probably shorting the life span of my "headers" at least and the mobo at most.

So you have a strong fan hooked up to your header on a ECS K7S5A. I have the 'SHE' 80 MM model ..... do you think this will be allright

Kaiser_Sose said:

just get one of these:

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=120199&Product_Code=5407

actually not too hard to make if you have a few spare fan wires and molex connectors lying around, but i buy them to save time...

I have the same MoBo, HSF and Delta and this is how I was told and did installed the rig.

The Rheostat that I bought from Sidewinder has Molex connectors on both sides, and the AX-7 has the 3 pin plug for your MoBo - Black, Red, and Blue. Blue is the RPM monitor on your Mobo.

So, I cut the Red and Black wires and connected them to a Molex extension so I didn't have to cut the Rheostat connections, and plugged the MoBo connector from the AX-7 with BLUE wire still attahced to the Mobo so I can still get the fan RPM reading.

Or, to keep it REALLY simple, this is what Mobile20 had to say:

Ok let me try to lay it out.

You got your Delta Fan with a Black, Red and Blue wire.

You got your rheostat with a Red wire and a Red/Black wire.

You got a Molex connector from your power supply, a molex connector consists of 2 Black wires, a red wire, and a yellow wire.
The Yellow wire is your 12 Volt, and the Red wire is your 5 Volt.

So when you plug in the rheostat to your power supply, the red wire on the rheostat should line up with the yellow wire on the PSU Molex.

Then you take your Red and black wires from your Delta Fan and plug them in respectivly to the rheostat.

Then you take your blue wire from your Delta fan and plug that into the right most pin on your 3 pin motherboard header (if you want fan monitoring).

Plug one side into your PSU Molex

Then on the otherside

Take your red wire from the dela fan and hook it to the outside connection of the free molex, then take your black wire and hook it to the inside connection of the same molex.

Then your blue wire goes to the mobo.

Like I said in my former post, I don't think you will have a problem, but it might hurt your mobo in a way that I can't for see. It is your desicion. If you don't feel good about doing it, DON'T. Just go with the do-it-yourself approach or buy the 3-pin to molex with rpm wire pigtail.

Back